Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Theme Challenge ~ Colour

stunning
    Jill

These are all gorgeous, I love the puzzle rings, they are quirky and appeal very much. I like the heart pendant, also quirky and the cool blue ring is just beautiful. The found garnet is also lovely, and Hannah, wow, your designs are stunning. Some great talent here. It always makes me see things differently when I see what other people make, makes me try harder to do more different things.

wow they are all so gorgeous, feel totally out of my league on this forum i cant believe it, i could buy them all.

Wow thanks for the enthusiasm, I'm truly touched! theres 22 pieces in the range so far (11 different pieces in two colours) and I just finished putting them all on the website. I love working with materials other people might consider for jewellery then adding precious metals and stones to them to highlight it.
    I really do appreciate the comments

Hannah where did u get them from and did the polypropylene come like that? They're really nice

Hannah, would you be willing to make an "artist's statement" about your work?

I'm quite an admirer and am not slow to appreciate that the effort that goes into forming the plastic elements is greater than the silver, transposing my own view of the value (as a silver-worker).

'Artist's statements' are a bit... esoteric for an artisan forum but I do feel your work is in a bracket that needs that slight distancing. Certainly I feel that slight 'judder' in my centre when I realise that there are things going on here that are more akin to fine-arts than silversmithing.

Wheely, the polypropylene comes in sheet form from Fred Aldous of Manchester- heres a direct link to the polyprop page
    Fred Aldous
    I ended up cutting all the strips by hand although I tried to get it all laser cut- it melted at the edges and would have taken almost as long to clean up as it did to cut. I used a heavy duty guillotine and a craft knife and had very sore hands for a few days!

Joe, fine art? moi? lol!
    Actually I’m quite surprised at being put in the same sentence as fine art. I’ve always felt more like a product designer or engineer. This is one statement I have on my Design Factory profile etc but it’s a little out of date now, I think I had better start writing a newer version.

"Mathematical forms and engineering solutions are the main inspirations behind the work of Hannah Bates, giving her work a modern aesthetic. Taking tactile elements, light and colour into consideration when producing a design, Hannah brings about a deeper interaction between the wearer and the piece.

Materials such as silver, steel and acrylic are chosen not for their perceived value, but for their sustainability of purpose due to a conscious decision to confront preconceived notions of preciousness.

Although engineering is a major aspect in Hannah's design, she enjoys using hand techniques and the juxtaposition this creates between her influence and the eventual outcome."

Its good to hear that the amount of work in the plastic sections hasn’t gone unnoticed though, it gets a bit depressing when you hear-‘ it’s a bit expensive after all its only plastic’ a few too many times.
    Last edited by HannahJewelleryDesigns; 03-08-2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: bad punctuation!

You're no more engineer than Gormley! It's just something you have to be to realise the work. You'll have to give in to the fine-art tag eventually...

The statement is pretty much there though; it certainly touches what I can see in these fabulous pieces.

Hannah, I LOVE your bar pieces.
    Love love love them!!!!

Ooops sorry Im having a job getting my head through the door!!!
    Thankyou all so much, your so kind

xxx