Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Art Clay copper....torch firing

Kates new DVD comes out in the next week or so - very much looking forward to getting it!
    Are you going to any of the silver clay conferences this year?

Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Hi and thanks to all,
    for clarifying pmc torch/kiln thing, glad I've not wasted my money on the kiln, and feel more confident about temps and times. So far I'm loving the silver clay.
    Thanks again Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by MuranoSilver View Post
    Kates new DVD comes out in the next week or so - very much looking forward to getting it!
    Are you going to any of the silver clay conferences this year?

Nic x
    I've ordered Kate's DVDs as well.. they should be shipping on or around 28th June.. that's next week! Yay!!!!

Alas, I won't be going to any of the silver clay conferences.

I can see everyone's point about kiln firing vs. torch firing. I have, however, started to feel more confident with my copper clay pieces. I've been firing things for a second time, and increased the times by a few minutes or so...and definately need to get that red glow, rather than the dull one people have mentioned.
    I am yet to use my mini kiln for any fired clay projects, not sure why, just a bit dubious as it is a cheapy, and has a metal lid on top, and only goes up to about 850/900C. I know this is fine for silver, but not for copper probably.
    Here are some recent charms I've made by torch-firing ArtClay Copper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00904_edited.jpg   DSC00886_edited2.jpg  

your kiln sounds a bit like mine, it was only cheap and its quite small but ok for what I need and my budget (non existent now) I've fired several things in it at 800C (which is the temp the tutor used on the day course I did) for approx 2 hrs and they have all been fine, I'm hoping to get a tumbler next. Good luck with your kiln, I love your leaves, did you mold them yourself? I did some silver ones but painted the leaves with paste and I love the finished result even if somepeople think it's comercial etc.. I was suprised at how difficlt it is to actually do them, requires a lot of patience and dexterity :-)

Can any one give me details of above mentoned dvd it souds interesting but I don't know where to find it, or ifo about it.
    Thanks Wendy

You'll find it here
    Kate McKinnon Design — DVD
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Moriarty View Post
    I love your leaves, did you mold them yourself?

Thanks Wendy Yes, I made some cardboard templates for the leaf shapes, then used real ivy leaves to press the vein textures onto them, worked better than I thought it would!

I must be daring and start using my kiln, at least for silver clay stuff. I mainly bought it for enameling, but I even use my torch for most of that now too!

Hi. I was about to ask a couple of questions regarding Kate Mckinnon's book and dvd, then I came across this thread! this book is revolutionary practically everything that I have been taught about the making of items using metal clay has been contradicted, I don't know what to think now, I knew that some of you fired your clay higher and longer than the instructions recommend, but I didn't understand the reasons behind it.... now that I do, I am wondering if these ideas should be relayed to students in the classrooms?
    Nic. I was also wondering what you thought to the idea of using water to condition the clay, do you think it alters the clays strength? and I noticed that Kate uses PMC rather than ArtClay, watching her dvd PMC looks softer than AC. I have never worked with PMC, have you?
    Ann

Quote Originally Posted by willow View Post
    I knew that some of you fired your clay higher and longer than the instructions recommend, but I didn't understand the reasons behind it.... now that I do, I am wondering if these ideas should be relayed to students in the classrooms?
    Hi Ann,

You're right.. these ideas should be relayed to students in classrooms!

As mentioned before, I have both of Kate's metal clay (MC) books, and they have completely changed the way I use/handle metal clay.. and it should be a book that all resellers of metal clays should have in stock.

I already had a kiln, as I make rings with MC, so I was used to firing at 1650 deg F for 2 hours. What blew me away was that she could create these amazing structural, stable, professional-looking pieces, with a full 2-hour kiln firing, no need for filing, excessive sanding and just a wash of water for joining dry-built pieces together. But once she'd explained the 'science' behind what she does and why.. it all makes perfect sense (in particular, the bit about work-hardening the metal afterwards).

I have used both Art Clay (Slow Dry) Silver Clay and PMC3. I found PMC3 smoother, softer and easier to work with. Kate's method of storing unused clay (as opposed to cling film as I was taught) is just inspired and has definitely allowed me to work for much longer time periods, without having to resort to rehydrating the metal clay.

Students should have the right to this information, so that they can make informed choices as to how they use this medium safely and effectively to produce stable, durable and professional-looking pieces in metal.

In the next week or so, Kate's launching a new website called 'A Workshop in Fine Silver' to accompany the 4-hour DVD set she's bringing out. The website will be a resource centre with photos, videos, demos and an 'Ask Kate' section where to the best of her knowledge, she will answer questions and help provide solutions to people's metal clay problems .... all for free!