Thread: Good instruction books on wirework

Default Good instruction books on wirework

Hi there
    I would like to know if any of you can recommend a good instruction book on wirework. I just received the book "Wire Style - 50 to make" by Denise Peck and it's very nice, but has no detailed instructions plus no examples of rings, so I am a bit disappointed with this one.
    I also of Linda Jones's wirework book which is very basic. I also have "Wirework" by Dale Armstrong, which is very advanced and another good visual reference "Wire Jewellery" by Chris Franchetti Michaels.
    I am looking for a book which has plenty of examples and detailed instructions on ring making with wire.

Helenka, can I suggest that you use the forum's search facility - which you will find at the top right of your screen. The forum has been going for about a year now and most topics have been discussed during that time. By just typing 'book' into the search frame, I found this thread, which would be a good place to start
    Di x

There's one called "Moods in Wire" which seems to be mainly line drawings and HowTo's rather than eye candy pictures
    Amazon.com has lots of reviews on it (sorryi can't help more but it's not really my area)
    What sort of rings are you wantingto make? Maybe individual tutorials might be more useful
    lots of Etsy sellers do e-mail wire wrapping tutorials
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Thanks - found the thread and a book I hesitated to buy and bought Denise Peck instead.
    Bead On A Wire - Sharilyn Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Helenka View Post
    Thanks - found the thread and a book I hesitated to buy and bought Denise Peck instead.
    Bead On A Wire - Sharilyn Miller
    Superb book, that one, Helenka.
    Di x

Di - does it show how to make rings and wrapp pendants? Denise's book is ok but a let down on the instructions and techniques. It's more for inspiration. When I got some spare cash I want to do a course.

Helenka, you won't find either of these specific techniques in Bead on a Wire - though it is one of my favourite wirework books.

For the techniques you're looking for, you might do better with dedicated tutorials.

Have a look at what's available on JewelryLessons.com | Learn how to make your precious jewelry - FREE tutorials, lessons & articles! and also Classes At Beaducation

There are also some excellent wire-based tutorials on etsy.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Helenka, you won't find either of these specific techniques in Bead on a Wire - though it is one of my favourite wirework books.

For the techniques you're looking for, you might do better with dedicated tutorials.

Have a look at what's available on JewelryLessons.com | Learn how to make your precious jewelry - FREE tutorials, lessons & articles! and also Classes At Beaducation

There are also some excellent wire-based tutorials on etsy.
    I can say that I have found lots of tutorials on Jewellerylessons.com and they are really good. I do mainly wire work, and you can download tutorials, I can't really afford to buy some of them, but there are alot of them which are free of charge.
    Love and light,
    Maggie[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT

Jewellery lessons website is good for inspiration. I'd like to try thisRose Ring and Eni Oken's own Ornate Ring. I teach basic wire wrap rings in my classes, and write my own tutorials for them.