Thread: Need locket making tips please...

Default Need locket making tips please...

Hi, I have only recently 12 weeks ago actually started making silver jewellery at college evening classes. I have made rings and bracelets so I understand the basic principals of silver work and my next project is to make a locket, my teacher told me she has never made a hinge, and I am a bit guessing how its made, any ideas would be very welcome. I have the tube and the wire to fit, 1mm tube and .90mm wire, I presume that is ok. I cant find much on the internet about it, so your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here's a few hinge-related articles - Tips from the Jeweler's Bench Article Archive - Ganoksin

Should get you started at least. The worst thing I find with hinges is getting the knuckles to stay put as I set the thing up for soldering; once they're in place, I usually find the actual soldering fairly reliable. I tend to pick solder for hinges though, as it works better for me in terms of getting the solder exactly where I want it.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Here's a few hinge-related articles - Tips from the Jeweler's Bench Article Archive - Ganoksin

Should get you started at least. The worst thing I find with hinges is getting the knuckles to stay put as I set the thing up for soldering; once they're in place, I usually find the actual soldering fairly reliable. I tend to pick solder for hinges though, as it works better for me in terms of getting the solder exactly where I want it.

Thank you Peter for your quick reply

You're welcome - hope you find those of use.

I've never made a locket, so can't help there, but there are some useful photos showing how to solder a tube hinge onto a locket in Anastasia Young's new book "The workbench guide to jewelry techniques"
    Good luck!
    Jo
    Daisychain Jewellery - Handcrafted sterling silver jewellery and jewellery tuition
    www.daisychainjewellery.co.uk
    www.daisychaindesignsjewellery.blogspot.com

Small silver tube is not that expensive, so I would suggest doing a practice run on two domed copper discs. A three knuckle hinge would be sufficient. Some of the problems are:
    1. How to make a seat for the tubing. A parallell sided round file is good for this.
    2. How to align the tubes. There are several methods , including only partially cutting away the middle section, so that the two end knuckles are temporarily joined.
    3. Not to accidentally solder the knuckles together. It helps to be sparing with the solder and use an antiflux such as powdered rouge in meths.
    Have a look at Tim McCreight: Metal Smiths Book, Boxes & Lockets.