Thread: Balling up brass?

Default Balling up brass?

Having tried a bit of silver balling up, I wondered how easy it is to do the same with small bits of brass? Any advice appreciated, before I do any damage to myself or the furniture?! I only have a butane torch, so not sure if I need something more powerful, or any other safety precautions...also any advice on soldering brass with copper/silver would be much appreciated

In response I went straigt to my bench and balled about 1mm of 1mm dia. brass wire using a mini torch. I don't have any borax handy , so I added a small pinch of Tenacity No 5. If I Wanted a good crop I would make tiny jump rings (not soldered) and melt those, so that the balls were of matching size. Kind regards, Dennis.
    Balls roll, so work in a metal dish to contain them.
    Last edited by Dennis; 25-05-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Added warning.

Hi Dennis,

Thanks very much for being my guinea pig :-) I did try to reply last night but it seems to have vanished. I've not heard of Tenacity No.5...sounds like a perfume ;-) I have a borax cone, would I just paint a bit onto the wire first? Is brass like copper in terms of firescale etc? Someone pointed out to me that the fumes can be pretty nasty with brass...should I work outside?!

Cheers again :-)

Yes, borax will be fine. I am not aware of any caveats regarding brass, but heating, soldering and pickling should be done in a ventilated area. I also use the base of a cheap barbecue for a hearth. Kind regards Dennis.

Just to repeat what Dennis mentions last - if you're heating brass to solder or melt, ensure you have really good ventilation, and ideally extraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I also use the base of a cheap barbecue for a hearth. Kind regards Dennis.
    That's interesting Dennis. Did you have to cut through the front of it to create an opening? How did you do it?
    Linda

Hi Lida,
    I'm too lazy to take a photo and post it tonight, but it is like an outsize roasting pan, rectangular and made of heavy metal. In addition it has a higher back and sides which have been slotted in.
    It is big enough to hold a number of soldering bicks and other gear and looks a right mess. I do not use the grill and legs that came with it.
    To solder on I have a tripod with the legs cut down, so that the top is just above the rim of the pan. On the tripod I usually have my brick, or some metal gauze, or a larger refractive board.
    Kind regards, Dennis.

I get the picture. Perhaps one of those lazy susan (swiveling) style soldering boards might be a good idea too. Great idea for melting metal and keeping the heat in.
    Linda