Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a market for....

Default Is there a market for....

Hi,

My name is Gregory and I am in a position to manufacture hardened steel high precision disc cutter type punches for sheet metal, my question is how interested would the jewellery making community be in SHAPED punches?

Think of the disc cutter set you can buy from Cookson, except in shapes instead of circles.

I could offer a set for different sized hearts, another set for different sized stars, flowers etc. Or alternatively a set featuring all different shapes of a similar size.

Most basic shapes would be possible.

I appreciate your time and feedback.

Gregory

P.S. I appologise if this kind of market research is not allowed on this forum or if I have placed this post in the wrong category.

I think if you could make them reasonably priced, we'd be biting your hand off!

I would go for five pointed stars for myself. But why not ask Cooksons who have a huge customer base. Dennis

Sounds interesting

Hearts, flowers, stars they'd all be fabulous!
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I think if you could make them reasonably priced, we'd be biting your hand off!
    ditto to that

the other thing i would love is something that would form a heart like the lampworkers use i have been tempted to buy one to see if it will work

http://www.bavarianbeads.com/product...bsieghafnn7ct6
    Last edited by Emerald; 19-05-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Oh and where are you based Gregory

they sound great to me, all depends on price tho
    jill

Thanks for all your input so far, it is all very valuable.
    I thought shaped punches would be useful to jewellery makers and there doesn't seem to be anyone making them for sale anywhere online as far as I can tell.

As for prices, I haven't begun to price things yet, however if there was enough interest I'm confident I could deliver a high quality punch set closer in price to the "economy" punches rather than the very expensive "premium" punches available.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
    Oh and where are you based Gregory
    I'm based in Scotland about 20 miles West of Aberdeen in a town called Banchory.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post

the other thing i would love is something that would form a heart like the lampworkers use i have been tempted to buy one to see if it will work
    I think your options for this would be casting, or using a powerful hydraulic press (I'd say 100ton+ - this would depend on the heart size) with some fancy tooling (more mass production). If you were casting I don't think it would be hard to machine a two sided mould similar to that in your link, I think a good grade graphite (zero risk of contaminating your silver/gold - and it would release from the mould easily) would work very well for that (not the same type of graphite used widely in crucibles for jewellery, that graphite is low quality and easily damaged). I'd need to look into it but this is something I could manufacture if there was sufficient interest.
    Last edited by MIKRON; 19-05-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKRON View Post

I think your options for this would be casting, or using a powerful hydraulic press (I'd say 100ton+ - this would depend on the heart size) with some fancy tooling (more mass production). If you were casting I don't think it would be hard to machine a two sided mould similar to that in your link, I think a good grade graphite (zero risk of contaminating your silver/gold - and it would release from the mould easily) would work very well for that (not the same type of graphite used widely in crucibles for jewellery, that graphite is low quality and easily damaged). I'd need to look into it but this is something I could manufacture if there was sufficient interest.

thank you, i will carry on free forming lol