Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Is there a market for....

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    It's not sexy like the BD but it would do the job. I don't see why you couldn't do deep drawing with that one, though the equipment you need costs nearly as much as the actual press.
    Well i just tried for a shipping quote from a few US firms with the weight of the press and the figures vary from $600-$1000 oh well haha, lets see what riogrande quote.

Carole, what things do you deep draw? the main things i will use the press for are, texture,the bracelet formers and silouette dies.

regards

Stuart

All "deep drawing" requires is a hydraulic arm with longer travel. The tiny bottle jacks that the bonny doon use are in the £20 range. A long travel 20T jack is about £85.

These tools are massively over-priced. You could have them custom-made for half that.

The cash for the Mk3 would get you this monster of an industrial 50T press which would crush Bonny Doons into mangled scrap, even before VAT and shipping. They're having a laugh!!

Bonny Doon did not invent the hydraulic press. They are a common part of industry around the world. I suppose they may have invented the forming tools and I've never seen anyone else form into urethane. Dunno.

Buy their beautiful clastic and anti-clastic tools and fit them to a cheap hydraulic press and save yourself thousands of pounds!!!

Deep drawing is used to form vessels Stu. It's quite a lengthy process as you have to keep drawing and annealing lots of times. You also have to grease the equipment with smelly beef tallow. I'm not sure I like the finished articles, so I don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Deep drawing is used to form vessels Stu. It's quite a lengthy process as you have to keep drawing and annealing lots of times. You also have to grease the equipment with smelly beef tallow. I'm not sure I like the finished articles, so I don't do it.
    Hmmm sounds like its not worth the effort for the occasional deep draw I'd want to do (funnily enought the BD brochure didn't mention the dead cow lubricant part!)

The only thing that I'm unsure about is if I buy something like these ones I've been looking at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-ton-hydraul...item4cf4fcac07 and it turns out I can't use them with the BD or Potter dies then I'll have wasted that money. I've tried to economise like that in the past and sometimes it turn out to be a false economy :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    All "deep drawing" requires is a hydraulic arm with longer travel. The tiny bottle jacks that the bonny doon use are in the £20 range. A long travel 20T jack is about £85.

These tools are massively over-priced. You could have them custom-made for half that.

The cash for the Mk3 would get you this monster of an industrial 50T press which would crush Bonny Doons into mangled scrap, even before VAT and shipping. They're having a laugh!!

Bonny Doon did not invent the hydraulic press. They are a common part of industry around the world. I suppose they may have invented the forming tools and I've never seen anyone else form into urethane. Dunno.

Buy their beautiful clastic and anti-clastic tools and fit them to a cheap hydraulic press and save yourself thousands of pounds!!!
    Joe

i ment they made the tools not the first to make a hydraulic press. Its simple engineering really looking at it. All the presses i find have a small round head (unsure if this is the correct word) where the BD has a flat rectangular head which is obviously safer and easier to use. I guess its a case of going to an engineering company and getting them to build me one.

thanks & regards

Stuart

Sorry Stuart! I didn't mean to be rude - I was taken aback by their shockingly high prices for the part they hadn't invented.

The hydraulic rams have a screw-on piece at the end that can be interchanged, but they seem to vary between manufacturers so they're not standard. You might find one that suits without having to visit a fabrication shop.

Looking at the BD tools, some of them seem to use a quick-release adaptor which ends in just a couple of rods with magnets. Also they say the table is "self-levelling" meaning that it tilts, I guess on a ball joint as used in bottle-jacks for your car - perhaps that's just a car jack under the table? But it might mean that the big plate is no better than a knife-edge for stability.

Now that I look at it, it's a bit of a scary tool! 20T, the tool held on a couple of small magnets and your face close to the head so you can see the deformation of the metal... I wouldn't necessarily want to fill out a risk assessment form on that one!

its ok, It is just a car jack under the table, the only part they make is the steel frame to hold the table. I am just going to purchase one in this country, i will be purchasing some of BDs dies and dont think i will have a problem with using a press with a small head.

I agree i will not be looking directly into the press, i have heard stories of things flying out sideways.

With the BD the supporting pillars are between you and the platform so there's less likelihood of being hit by anything. I was a bit nervous at first but I've never had anything fly out the side. As long as you only use tools that are made specifically for use in a press, there shouldn't be a problem.

This is quite an interesting page with a picture of a DIY press and some more ideas of dies and press tools that a small engineering company could offer...

Now to find an engineering company to make a frame for me. Does anyone know of anyone?

regards

Stuart