Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a market for....

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I think if you could make them reasonably priced, we'd be biting your hand off!
    Absolutely agree with that sentiment.

I would be interested in a custom punch, the shape is a triangle, but I have specific requirements on the degrees of the angles and measurements. If you would consider this.

But other than that I am sure you would be onto a winner making some nice shape punches so long as the price was fair

Good luck with this venture if you decide to take it up.

All the best

Arthren

I like the idea of a flower shape and a rugby ball/oval. I can't believe no one else has thought of this.

I'd be interested in flower shapes of different sizes & number of petals, and different sizes of ovals/elipses too. Also big circles - 20mm up to, say, 40mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Quinn View Post
    Absolutely agree with that sentiment.
    Me too! You could be on to a winner here!
    Jo
    Daisychain Jewellery - Handcrafted sterling silver jewellery and jewellery tuition
    www.daisychainjewellery.co.uk
    www.daisychaindesignsjewellery.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Arthren View Post
    I would be interested in a custom punch, the shape is a triangle, but I have specific requirements on the degrees of the angles and measurements. If you would consider this.

But other than that I am sure you would be onto a winner making some nice shape punches so long as the price was fair

Good luck with this venture if you decide to take it up.

All the best

Arthren
    Thank you.

Custom punches could be made no problem and would be welcomed. There would be a small premium involved for the additional work involved in generating machine code based on the design.

I have a set of circle cutters which i have used in the past. Striking the punch with a hammer works well however I always thought in an ideal world you would have a set up where you had a long lever which you pressed down which lowered the punch into the die and cut out your shape or circle, the punches used would be interchangable in the lever mechanism. The advantage here is that as you raised the lever, the punch would be lifted and released from the sheet metal and you could punch another shape right away, not to mention the whole operation would be silent. This would be overkill for cutting the odd shape or circle however if you have to do 50, 100 etc I think a set up like this would be useful and probably reduce the time involved by half.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by MIKRON View Post
    ...I always thought in an ideal world you would have a set up where you had a long lever which you pressed down which lowered the punch into the die...
    An arbor press, for example?

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    An arbor press, for example?
    Yeah, you got it, now why didn't I just describe it simply like that?! However, the main advantage to what I'm suggesting is the punch would be essentially fixed to the ram, so upon raising the ram, the punch would be released and raised out of the sheet metal without manually pulling out the punch every time by hand. The punches would have to be specifically designed to be attached to the ram, this is not easily possible with punches currently available.

Perhaps I'm trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist?! I just remember cutting out about 100+ circles one day for a little project and thinking there has to be a faster way! You are the experts here so you keep me right.

Yeah, you got it, now why didn't I just describe it simply like that?!
    Cos there's a lot of people here might not know what an arbor press is

Mine is only a 2T - so you're not going to get enough force to shear anything large. But... There is a 3/8" hole & a grubscrew in the end of the ram, so I can & do bolt dies into it.
    There's also a 20T hydraulic press on the market that you can bolt tooling to (the Bonny Doon press). Not all that many in the UK though; I only know of one member here who has one.

Keeping the punch & die aligned interests me... The only easy way I can think of is to have an outrigger with an alignment pin.

Thank you.

Custom punches could be made no problem and would be welcomed. There would be a small premium involved for the additional work involved in generating machine code based on the design.

I have a set of circle cutters which i have used in the past. Striking the punch with a hammer works well however I always thought in an ideal world you would have a set up where you had a long lever which you pressed down which lowered the punch into the die and cut out your shape or circle, the punches used would be interchangable in the lever mechanism. The advantage here is that as you raised the lever, the punch would be lifted and released from the sheet metal and you could punch another shape right away, not to mention the whole operation would be silent. This would be overkill for cutting the odd shape or circle however if you have to do 50, 100 etc I think a set up like this would be useful and probably reduce the time involved by half.

Any thoughts?
    Gregory have you seen the Swanstrom Disc cutter they only sell it in America Swanstrom Disc Cutter Set and then this guy on Ebay does one i presume from India 10 EXTRA LARGE CIRCULAR DISC CUTTER TOOL 2MM - 31MM SET on eBay (end time 22-May-10 13:44:16 BST) but half the price