Thread: Work spaces

Default Work spaces

I am just getting back into jewellery making, I haven't done any silversmithing for over ten years (I assume my tools are still in the loft somewhere!!!) but I am desperatly short of space to set up any sort of workspace. I did have a dedicated sewing /painting room (bit of a serial hobbyist *blush) until recently but had to sacrifice it for a bedroom for my daughter as she got fed up sharing with her messy older sister.

Has anyone got any solutions to lack of space?

My OH has just built a sliding bench for me in the utility room & it's fab.
    We can't fit the hoover in there anymore but I think it was a sacrifice worth making
    J x

My workbench is in the space under the stairs until (If ever) one of the kids moves out !!!
    Sonia
    x

You might consider separating the mucky work from the cleaner work. Put the polishing and soldering work in the outside loo and find a smaller space for bench work in the house?

Nick

I've got a 8' by 6' shed and I love it! It's insulated, got electrics and it's amazing how much I can fit in there! If you're got space for a shed and want to do this long term, that would be my suggestion. If we had a utility room I probably would have used that as it would have been cheaper, but we don't.
    Jo
    Daisychain Jewellery - Handcrafted sterling silver jewellery and jewellery tuition
    www.daisychainjewellery.co.uk
    www.daisychaindesignsjewellery.blogspot.com

My OH put a dividing wall in the integral garage and my 'workshop' is the bit that you get to through the house. Plenty of room out there for workbenches and the like - I have a 'dirty' bench where all the soldering and mucky stuff is done and an old dining table serves as a clean area where I design and dream and drink coffee...
    Di x

I think I will need to invest in a shed! We have already converted our garage into a living room and we are pretty much open plan downstairs so this would be a perfect solution. It's my first wedding anniversary next week, that's paper and paper is made of wood so maybe a shed would be a good gift ;-)

Money is made from paper too, so just ask for a wad and get the shed you want, maybe one of those ones that look like swiss chalets :0)

I think the chances are that I will get a paper brochure with sheds in!!!