Thread: A Low Tech Method For Anodizing Niobium, First Results.

Default A Low Tech Method For Anodizing Niobium, First Results.

Niobium is a reactive metal like titanium, which is easily anodized using voltages from 10 to 140V.DC in an electrolyte. The electrolyte of choice is trisodium phosphate 3% in deionised water. The colours which appear vary according to voltage, from bright green at the high end, through purple, red, orange, various blues and finally brown and dark grey. I found that at high voltages the colours developed too quickly and became muddy. To counter this I halved the strength of the electrolyte by adding more water.
    The layers formed are thin and not wear resistant, but might be useful in recessed areas and as backgrounds to pierced work. The dedicated apparatus from Reactive Metals costs $250, plus freight, taxes and other charges, which would almost double that. Having read a brief account of a method using batteries, I decided on a pilot study along that route, but using brush anodising to make a test strip.
    The power source is 14x 9V. Batteries, connected in series. The anode is the test strip. The cathode is a synthetic artist’s brush, with a wire soldered to the ferrule and insulated with tape. The brush is moistened sparingly with the electrolyte. Voltage is selected by attaching the insulated crocodile clip to the various positive terminals in turn.
    Apart from the batteries, which cost £1 each, the recycled electrical flex and the crocodile clip, all that was needed was equipment for soldering. The other bits and pieces were only added out of an obsession with tidiness. I did also add a switch to avoid an accidental short circuit. For more control at the high voltages it might be useful to insert a variable resistance, rather than dilute the electrolyte.
    Should you want to do this yourself, please work under the supervision of a qualified electrician and wear rubber gloves. The batteries may look innocuous, but linked together can give you a serious shock. Dennis.

Hi,

Great work, I always appreciate people who come up with low cost solutions. Although I am not planning on doing any Anodizing in the near future, its still a nice bit of kit you have made there and for very cheap. I am sure there will be many people interested in this.

Well done

Arthren

Love the colours you've got with that.... do you think it would work with titanium too?
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

I believe it can, Nic, as the instructions in the Thesis: Studio Preparation and Coluring, is primarily about titanium. However I understand that Titanium requires more careful preparation. I was hoping that Alan would be around to look at this, as I am quite pleased with my Heath Robinson efforts. Kind regards Dennis

I anodised titanium with 3 9v batteries and Sprite this very morning. Wonder if that method would work on Niobium...

Dear Coco,
    Yes, anything that can act as an electrolyte will work to a degree, but TSP is said to be best. The main problem is to step up the voltage and therefore the current passed, in small increments so as to bring out all the colours. All this is described in a slim booklet 'The Thesis' from Reactive metals. As you see I have been side-tracked by other work and have not persued this further yet. Kind regards, Dennis.

Oh this is just brilliant! I am so impressed by those that eschew the commercial equipment to hold up the essence of such technology.... another tool in my creativity toolbox!

Thanks Dennis!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Dear Coco,
    Yes,anything that can act as an electrolyte will work to a degree, but TSP is said to be best. The main problem is to step up the voltage and therefore the current passed, in small increments so as to bring out all the colours. All this is described in a slim booklet 'The Thesis' from Reactive metals. As you see I have been side-tracked by other work and have not persued this further yet. Kind regards, Dennis.

Hi,

I tried the sprite and battery method on niobium yesterday and it worked!!! I'm really pleased with it and much prefer it to the titanium if I'm honest. Now all I need is stronger drill bits, I really should learn to think things through before I start!

Dear Coco,

Please tell us more about your method to help members develop it further.

It should not be too difficult to drill your metal if you do so incrementally. I would start with the side of a small round burr and a drop of oil or run it in candle wax. Then use increasing sizes of HSS drills. Rest it on wood and wear leather gloves incase your metal starts to spin.

By the way, small twist drills can easily be resharpened with a diamond wheel, or disk for pendant motor if you rest the handpiece horizontally and touch the drill against the wheel while it is running. You can also experiment with the best angles.

Kind regards Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 31-12-2010 at 07:50 AM.