Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not for committed tories

Quote Originally Posted by MuranoSilver View Post
    yeah - and that's about as accurate as it's content....
    Ah Nic. I hate to say it, but you started it.....

Another example of a typically well reasoned debate on behalf of the Labour party....
    and they wonder why so many people have lost faith
    Nic x
    Ah, it's not 'well reasoned debate', Nic, just a bit of a laugh
    There is actually quite a long history in this country of using comedy and music in conjunction with political causes (less so by the right-wing, it's true, they tend to have less of an appreciation for the arts). You're probably too young to remember this Nic :

YouTube - Kenny Everett Causes Controversy At The Conservative Party Conference 1983.

J x

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Ah Nic. I hate to say it, but you started it.....
    Nope I'm pretty sure Di started it (looks at beginning of thread)
    yep there it is....Di started it.
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Nope I'm pretty sure Di started it (looks at beginning of thread)
    yep there it is....Di started it.
    Nic x
    I will be voting in the election and though I think the parties are pretty much all the same now it will be going to the Tories....
    John Hayes (the local Tory man) is so good at representing us and he's the only face I recognise.
    He shops locally, sends his children to the local schools, visits us when he's doing his "surgery" at the Town Hall and supports local causes.

The Libs have made a good case too but (using a sweeping generalisation) the Tories seem to look after us "nation of small shopkeepers"
    Nic x
    Yup, there it is......the first person to state an allegiance, I believe.

As a committed Tory I thought it was hilarious................but then I do like to go cow pucky on the oiks.

I posted the link but I never stated an allegiance. I think that was you Nic and, to be honest, I found your patronising 'nation of small shopkeepers' quite offensive. I also thought it was wrong that somebody in a position of authority on this board should have stated any allegiance at all. Surely, you should be like the BBC and totally non-partisan.
    Di x

OK, maybe as a Mod. Nic should be neutral. However, Di, you're a senior and very respected member on here and your "guesting" at the "National Not Voting For David Cameron & The Conservatives Day" is just as likely (or not!) to influence people. We're all adults. Are we really going to be swayed in our voting preference by one person's opinion?

I'm safe to say anything 'cos no one takes me seriously anyway.
    Still think the song is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    ... I found your patronising 'nation of small shopkeepers' quite offensive.
    The original is actually "nation of shopkeepers" - from Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations. Later used in a dismissive way by Napoleon I to describe Britain.

He's quite good for other quotes too - Smith, rather than Napoleon - can't find the original offhand, but "universities exist not for the benefit of the students, but for the benefit - or more correctly the ease - of its masters". And that from the late 1700s... Nothing changes.

1) When I said Di started it I was referring to the thread (this thread).
    2) I'm not in a position of Authority. I'm the a position of an unpaid volunteer who wants to help keep the forum free of spam and help ensure the rules are adhered to.
    I'd like this not to preclude me from fairly participating in the forum too.
    3) Di I'm sorry you found my "Nation of Small Shopkeepers" (miss-quote) offensive ~
    I'm not sure why you found it offensive but as a small shop keeper I find being called "patronising" for stating how I feel to be both offensive AND personal.
    Perhaps I'm being naive in hoping that the little success I've had as a small business (when so many others have closed around me) is something to celebrate or hoping that more succeed and leave us as a stronger Nation where the shops still have variety & difference is celebrated.

I'm not the BBC, I'm a jewellery maker, here to learn and interact with fellow jewellery makers
    (which is what I hope everyone is here to do). If I know the answer to something I'll try to help,
    if I can help find the answer I'll do that too & I'm immensely grateful for those that help me on my jewellery discovery too.

I wasn't engaging in a Party broadcast I was saying why I respect the local guy and the only party political element "the Tories seem to look after us "nation of small shopkeepers" was prefaced with (using a sweeping generalisation)

Personally if someone wanted to say they were voting Labour because they liked one of their policies
    or they were voting Liberal then that's fine by me.
    In fact I think that if more people cared about politics in this country & had fair and honest debate. Then the country would be in a much better position with Whitehall & the EU getting away with far less than they currently do (& that applies to ALL the parties)

Incidentally the following forum rules apply to moderators too & the Cooksons Admin team are also available via PM:
    4. Treat others as you want to be treated, with particular reference to intimidating behaviour which will not be tolerated for the good of the forum.
    7. No personal attacks, keep debates about opinions only...

Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver