Thread: Pearl and silver bangle - solder advice

Default Pearl and silver bangle - solder advice

Hi all,

I am wanting to make some fairly basic silver bangles out of thin wire with no fastenings, just the ends soldered together to form a loop. I have some really nice chunky pearls which I want to put on the bangles (just one on each bangle) so that they can move round the wire like they are 'orbiting'.

I have been told that the pearls will crack when I solder the joint. Is there a way to prevent this? I am attending an evening class but have only got basic equiptment. I am having trouble getting the solder to melt with a mini hand torch so any tips on this would be appreciated too. I have been using hard strip solder and borax to hold it.

The other option is to try some of the new sworovski pearls as they are crystal inside - will these manage the temperature better?

Many thanks

You could solder the bangle first then wire wrap the pearl on
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Hi,

It maybe a little difficult as the hole drilled in the pearl is small, but could you not thread the pearl on then suspend somehow so that its not touching the wire while being heated, all dependant on the size of the hole. Also What torch are you using? You may need a bigger torch.

Also you could try using some binding wire to wrap around the wire at a point between the solder joint and where the pearl is, this wire will restrict heat to the soldering section, unsure if this is a normal technique but it has worked for me before.

Im sure more experts will be along shortly.

Stu

You can either use cool paste, and make sure you're working at the opposite side, or use a bowl of cold water to suspend the pearl section in (works best with a couple of third hands).

You don't say what gauge wire you're working with, but a mini torch may not be enough, especially for hard solder. If you're only closing a single joint, why not just use easy? The temperature difference can be enough to let smaller torches do the job.

Smile

Hi again,

thanks for the advice, cetainly worth a go with the couple of techniques suggested. The wire is quite fine 1mm and I ordered the pearls with a 2mm hole so they would float about on the wire. I'm going to lightly hammer the wire once it is done and then put it with a few plain ones in an indian bangle style.

With the submerging in water - how do I do this - just dangle that section into a pyrex with cool water and hold the top section out to solder?

It is a small toach I have been (trying) using at college and it doesn't seem to have much omph. I'm looking at ordering the lakeland one so will have a go at home with some easy solder once that arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura1015 View Post
    Hi again,

With the submerging in water - how do I do this - just dangle that section into a pyrex with cool water and hold the top section out to solder?
    Yes - I use a third hand to hold it in place. It works for glass beads too.

Even a fairly weedy torch should be able to manage 1mm wire without too much trouble.

But surely if you put the pearl on before the bangle is formed you won't be able to shape the bangle on a mandrel? I make the bangle first and then add the charms and beads on afterwards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bangle.jpg  

These three things will make a rotten salad: Silver, Heat and pearls. As every good chef knows, only cold connections will work. The classical way is to solder on a small cup with a short spike to fit the pearl. Finsh the bangle, glue on the pearl (epoxy, like Devcon or Araldite are good) and drink the water.
    If you want a pearl to orbit, then you might be able to cut the wire somewhere convenient, slip the pearl on and then slip on a piiece of well fitting tubing to reconnect the cut ends, glue it and crimp it before the glue sets. Real pearls will quickly damage or shatter on a bangle, so I tend to put them in a protected place.
    Sorry if you already know this, but to move on a curved wire the hole in the pearl has to be quite a bit bigger than the wire. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 06-05-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks everyone for your advice, much appreciated. I will have a go a couple of the ways suggested and see how get on. Carole you make a very good point about getting the bangle back round! The picture posted is lovely as well.

Thanks again guys!