Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you solder your chainmaille?

Default Do you solder your chainmaille?

Hey all,

I guess the title says it all. Do you solder your chainmaille? By that i mean each and every ring is soldered closed.

Thanks

Arthren

.......no
    Di x

I very rarely solder every join - but do often close large rings permanently - especially if they're in smaller wire gauges.

I know one person here who does solder every join, but has the benefit of a water torch for doing so!

Maille created from rings of the correct AR should never need to be soldered though.

in a word no

I do, I like to solder them all!

I must be mad, but the water torch makes light work of them, without it I would give it a miss and just do some.
    Neil

Do you actually solder them or just fuse them? With really tight weaves how on earth do you get the solder in there!

I admire your patience and thoroughness - no, let's be honest, I think you've lost your rabbit pants!

Thanks for the replies,

I've not soldered any of my chainmaille so far. Although I've been asked by people if its soldered or not. My ring closures are usually so tight that they're hardly visible. As MizGeorge stated usually maille done in the correct AR should be fine.

I've considered soldering, but I felt that this could drive my eccentric side into more of an insanity lol.

I am intrested in how you go about soldering your maille WitchfordSilver, do you solder it as you build the chain or is it soldered after you have built the chain? I am also very intrested in this water torch, I've done some research into HHO generators with a view to trying to build a small soldering device. My little handheld creme broulee torch isn't too great and since I do all my silver work at home I am worried about having big gas bottles at home. If I could bother you for a few pics of the soldered chain and perhaps a pic or 2 of the water torch, that would be great

Thanks again for the replies

Arthren

Sorry made a double post, the forum or my web seems to be running slow.

Arthren
    Last edited by Arthren; 07-05-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Editted due to a double post.

I solder them all, well I have to admit it was my bosses want it took bloomin weeks, looked great in the end though it was 6' long but only 3" wide finished with Pearls at the end!

I solder lots of rings at one go then use the remaining ones to form the chain as I go. The water torch helps due to the very small very hot flame. I'll try and post a few pictures asap. the water torch is just like the one that was in cookies last cat.

I use solder past and a pick to place small amounts on the joint, the ring held in a third hand.
    Neil