Thread: Enameling on copper

Default Enameling on copper

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and need some advice on enameling using a kiln. I need a kiln to start me off and I have seen some for sale on ebay. If anyone has some advice for me about what to avoid/watch out for, it would be very much appreciated. I have been researching the whole process online and still can.t figure out how cloisons are attached to the ground work before being filled with enamel.
    I could go on but this is probably already filling up with too many questions in one go so I will end here and hope to get your advice.

Hi Crestes. The cloisons are attached by laying them onto a layer of flux and firing them in. As for a kiln, I'd say go for one where you can regulate the temperature. I would recommend a book by Linda Darty on enamelling.

Thanks for the info and the book suggestion. I'll read up some more about it. Could you tell me if a max temp of 850 would be sufficient for enameling. I have a potter friend who tells me that he knows some recipes for lead enamels and they fuse at about 600. I'm not sure if lead is considered an acceptable material though today? Suppliers of enamels seem to proudly say: - lead free enamels. What do you consider the best enamels to use?

I prefer leaded enamels but only really because that's what I'm used to. I've got one or two lead-free but don't like them much. I fire on copper and silver at 800 degrees. For every question though there'll be many answers from different people.

That's interesting Carole, I didn't know enamel contained lead. Why don't you like the lead free ones, is it the colour they produce, or are the processes different??
    Jules

I must admit I haven't really experimented much. It's just that the couple of lead-free colours I've tried have pinged off the silver. Mind you some leaded enamels ping off as well, so it's not that scientific. I just tend to stick with a range of colours that are tried and tested and that I know will work most of the time. If I get the time, I'll list the colours that I know work well on sterling.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I must admit I haven't really experimented much. It's just that the couple of lead-free colours I've tried have pinged off the silver. Mind you some leaded enamels ping off as well, so it's not that scientific. I just tend to stick with a range of colours that are tried and tested and that I know will work most of the time. If I get the time, I'll list the colours that I know work well on sterling.
    Well all I can say is your tried and tested colours are simply stunning! Don't rush about listing the colours that work with sterling, you've got enough to be going on with all your noth orders, eh!
    Jules

If it helps the general rule is cool colours blues, greens etc work well with cool metals like silver
    & the warm colours like reds and warm purples work well on warm metals like copper & gold.
    (by that I mean the colours tend to come out better & discolour less)
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    That's interesting Carole, I didn't know enamel contained lead. Why don't you like the lead free ones, is it the colour they produce, or are the processes different??
    I've used both leaded and lead-free....I feel safer using lead-free, sounds less scary somehow, but I believe there is a larger range of colours with the leaded ones. The firing processes are the same with each as far as I know. As for colour, I was pleasantly surprised by some lead-free red enamel I purchased, it worked much better on fine silver than I had been told it would :-)