Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photo critique

I am no expert, and struggling myself to find the perfect way to photograph jewellery...however, I feel the rose bracelet is too bright and there is a loss of depth. I do not use macro setting, because I need a macro lense on my camera, and this is a further 350Euro. I need to sell more jewellery before I can make this investment.
    After reading the 228 page user manual of my camera, I have tried the automatic depth of field setting on my camera, and using auto focus the recommended function and manual focus, just to try. The A-Dep setting allows for as I can best describe it a 3D focus.
    The major improvement I have found is to invest in daylight bulbs.
    So that I can show you my recent attempts, can someone please tell me just one thing..why does cropping in photoshop reduce the sharpness of the image, and how can you gain this back?
    This is renowned as the most difficult form of photography, I have an appointment with a bling bling photographer next week, in the hope that he can pass on some hints and tips, I am happy to translate it and post further next week.
    Poor old Les

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    I am no expert, and struggling myself to find the perfect way to photograph jewellery...however, I feel the rose bracelet is too bright and there is a loss of depth.
    Loss of highlights, overblown - yes, I'd agree. It might be correctable, I haven't looked.

So that I can show you my recent attempts, can someone please tell me just one thing..why does cropping in photoshop reduce the sharpness of the image, and how can you gain this back?
    Cropping shouldn't decrease sharpness on its own; however, are you then enlarging the image (either increasing the image size or just zooming in)?

If you do not have enough pixels, cropping in photoshop and then enlarging will leave your selected image less sharp. The answer is to look for 'Image Size' on your camera and increase it to 3M, or even 5M. Dennis.

Hi Peter,
    Occasaionally I am thye accompanying person to a fair for crafters and card makers, which I find rather boring as the stands offer much the same stuff and the prices are quite cheeky. I notice that some of them are advertising here http://uk.ask.com/web?l=dis&ifr=1&qs...f25459d3a006ca and include synthetic leaf skeletons. Kind regards, Dennis.

Hi Peter,

I got mine from Hobbycraft, they seem to work well.

Tabby

i think the leaf I used is a real one, it fell apart after rolling.

Cropping shouldn't decrease sharpness on its own; however, are you then enlarging the image (either increasing the image size or just zooming in)?[/QUOTE]
    Hi Peter, no I'm not changing anything to the image following cropping, it is the last piece of editing I do.

"If you do not have enough pixels, cropping in photoshop and then enlarging will leave your selected image less sharp. The answer is to look for 'Image Size' on your camera and increase it to 3M, or even 5M. Dennis."

Also thanks Dennis, my camera is set at 15M for image size and quality.
    Poor old Les