Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo critique

Default Photo critique

Hi everyone,

just a quick request to let me know what you think of this purple background? also do you use macro setting or not?

I havent changed the clasp on the bracelet etc yet i will do this asap, i just need to get my photography set up right.

any help greatly appreciated

Regards

Stuart

I think the purple background looks much better than the white one.

How are you lighting the items? It looks like a huge spotlight shining straight down so the details of the roses are lost. A light from the sides might be better - or not where my photography skills come in!
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by snow_imp View Post
    I think the purple background looks much better than the white one.

How are you lighting the items? It looks like a huge spotlight shining straight down so the details of the roses are lost. A light from the sides might be better - or not where my photography skills come in!
    hi,

i am lighting the items with two lights from above, i shall have a play with moving them slightly away from directly over the items.

Regards & thanks for your comments.

Stu

No problems, all my advice comes from someone who understands photography and I can 'parrot' his information quite easily (even if I can't use it all yet) - he suggested two lights shining from the sides - you may end up with two 'reflected lights' instead of one but it may show up the detail better as the shadows will appear. A cheap light tent can help too as the light can be diffused by shining the lights through the sides of the light tent - Maplins do some cheapish set ups.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

I am using a lighting set up already with an underlight aswell, although this is not really usable with the background i am now using. i shall now give the two side lights a whirl. thanks

Stu

Purple much better. I always use macro.
    Can help with lighting though I'm afraid

Dear Stu.
    The purple looks good, but could get monotonus if used exclusively. For experimenting I suggest colured tissue which comes in assortments. I particularly like royal blue, which shows silver to good advantage and if you crumple it and then flatten again it looks like a texture in photographs. Doing this with white is also glamorous. Kind regards, Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, yes i have considered just one colour will look a bit monotonus, so i am considering adding a deeper purple/blue into a few photographs.

thank you everyone for your help.

Stu

Hi,

I am not really keen on the purple. If your selling online, decent photos are absolutely critical for sales.

Looking round the internet. Mass producers and re-sellers are generally using stock photos from the manufacturers. They are normally on white backgrounds. They really don't sell the products well at all.

I did a search for amethyst bracelets on etsy.com.

Look how the light reflects internally through the stones. Its like they are radiating their beautiful properties. Making them special, unique and somewhat mysterious.

There is a slight shadow casting towards the camera suggesting a late evening shot. This suggests to me summer barbecues, and other informal evening events. Placing the bracelet in its context of uses.

The slate which the bracelet sits on gives a good colour contrast. Its not distracting but complimentary. It gives a hard, earthy tone which suits amethyst and the sun-god pendant.

All of your work is made in north wales and incorporates these sorts of stones. You could really have a lot of fun experimenting with ideas.

Having different, individually thought out product photos shows you care about your products. People enjoy looking at different photos. I guess they are an art themselves.

Hopefully that may help.

Hi Stu
    I've been using glass cullet for a background, it looks like ice. I got a light tent and lamps today off ebay so I'll be trying it out tomorrow
    JillClick image for larger version. 

Name:	anodisedcuff5.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	2673Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leafpendant.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	2674