Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo critique

Quote Originally Posted by jille View Post
    Hi Stu
    I've been using glass cullet for a background, it looks like ice. I got a light tent and lamps today off ebay so I'll be trying it out tomorrow
    JillAttachment 2673Attachment 2674
    Jill, How does highly polished or frosted silver look on the glass? I'm just thinking that the 2 pieces you've shown have stronger colours and stand out really well? Like the oxidised pendant btw ;-)

Tabby

I just got my new lights so I might play with then later this week, today I'm trying them out on lustreware, I'm getting a lot of reflected light even in the tent.
    I think shiny silver should be fine though.

Look forwards to hearing how you get on Jill.
    Tabby

Hi Stu

I think the purple looks good but you need softer lighting, the light is quite glaring in your first image, and detracts from the detail of the jewellery. The purple works well with the silver but not so much with the coloured stones as there's not a lot of contrast between the two and the jewellery is absorbed in to the background somewhat.

You don't have to use macro on your photos but a lot of people find it helps. Before I had a DSLR, my particular camera (I can't even remember what it was now, an old Olympus I think) gave me better results not using macro. I now use a Canon D40 with an EF-S 60mm macro lens exclusively for studio jewellery pictures. Don't be afraid to try other settings on your camera, you might find something else is preferable for you.
    Lucinda

Quote Originally Posted by jille View Post
    I just got my new lights so I might play with then later this week, today I'm trying them out on lustreware, I'm getting a lot of reflected light even in the tent.
    I think shiny silver should be fine though.
    You probably know this already, but a piece of white card propped up to reflect light back onto the piece from in front will reduce reflection and glare.

The biggest improvement for me was when I installed Photoshop Elements 9. It allows you to see your pictures before and after, side by side. I use the Guided option to sharpen, crop, straighten, increase or decrease the highlights, remove spots and blemishes, or even unwanted features and adjust the colour. Because it tells you what to do, you can be quite successful after only a short period of experimentation and there are books to take you further, but I don't feel the need.
    Dennis.

Thanks Dennis for some useful information. I put the curtain on the front of the light tent for my larger stuff like bowls as you get images reflected but I had forgotten to do something with the jewellery set up.
    i took some pictures yesterday using the same camera setting but moving the lights around, I'll post them when I have a moment. I think they all need adjusting on the computer though.

Here are the pictures , i have adjusted them on my computer, which one do you like the best? I've invested in a Lumix today so we'll see if I can improve my photography skills.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light top and sides2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	2692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lighting top2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	2693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lighting sides2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	2694
    First one has lighting from the top and sides, second one has top lighting, the third one has side lighting.
    Jill

Hi Jille, the first one wins for me. I doubt there is any need to experiment further. Is it a rolled print of one of those imitation leaf skeletons? I think it's splendid.
    Kind regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 25-01-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Likewise, I think - although the highlights look a little blown out, there's slightly more detail in the second one.

As for leaf skeletons - I've run out of the synthetic and all I can find are the real ones, which don't hold up to rolling; anyone got a source they'd share?

Would you mind explaining precisely why your post had an irrelevant link to a bike shop there? Or shall I just assume you're a spammer and deal with it accordingly?

Added - Ferdinand followed that by posting his bike shop link in another thread too, so now won't be playing.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 25-01-2011 at 11:18 AM.