Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you be voting in the election?

Default Will you be voting in the election?

Women chained themselves to railings, threw themselves under horses and went to prison just to gain the vote.
    Here are some earrings I made for a project: To chose a portrait at the National Portrait Gallery and provide some jewellery for that person to wear. I chose Emmeline Pankhurst. The suffragette colours were amethyst, peridot and pearl, so that is what the posh ones wore. The poorer ones wore cheaper imitations. My idea was to wear the studs during the day and then add the pendants in the evening. This is only a prototype and if I made it again I would hide the hooks at the back. Also the pictures are poor, being scanned in from prints. At that time I had my Suffragette period, so I made the necklace for a birthday present.
    Will you be voting in the election?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Figure1.jpg   suffragette earrings.jpg   Suffragette necklace.jpg  

Those are beautiful. I like the necklace best; what a lovely idea.

Loving the earrings and, like Carole, I think the idea was a good one.

As for your other question, wow what a 'crisis of conscience' I'm having this time around. I can't throw away my vote because, as you say, votes for women were a hard won trophy and not that long ago either - these things happened wheh my grandmother was in her teens. That means I'm only the third generation of my family to have the vote. All that being said, I can't think of anybody worthy of my vote! Tactical voting, my OH advises. But to do that goes against my core beliefs. Hmm... All can say is, I won't be voting BNP!
    Di x

I will be voting in the election and though I think the parties are pretty much all the same now it will be going to the Tories....
    John Hayes (the local Tory man) is so good at representing us and he's the only face I recognise.
    He shops locally, sends his children to the local schools, visits us when he's doing his "surgery" at the Town Hall and supports local causes.

The Libs have made a good case too but (using a sweeping generalisation) the Tories seem to look after us "nation of small shopkeepers"
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

What a great interpretation of the theme Dennis

Love those pieces Dennis, esp the sentiment and the way that you've varied the stones - unique & elegant.
    As for the other question......kowabunga, that's a toughie! Whatever happens, we are heading for a crap PM (imao), just depends who you hate the least. Locally, it's our Labour candidate who's really in touch with what's going on & really hard working, unfortunately voting Labour here is a wasted vote. That combined with Vince Cable (respekt ) mean I'm going to do the tactical thing and go LibDem. But I will have to cross my fingers while I do it.
    xx

A great idea and I love your interpretation of the theme - I like the idea of the earrings that can be day-to-night wear.

As for the election - of course I will be voting, too many women fought for my right to do this.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Dennis, your work never ceases to amaze me, you have such an eye for detail and your workmanship is absolutely magnificent, I hope that one day I too will be able to produce such fantastic pieces.

Hmmmm.......... politics, you might wish that you hadn't asked !!

As a person who believes that one should look after your fellow man and should not just think about what is best for oneself, I look to the evidence of the past and future indicators:

Do I want a government who takes care of the priviledged few ( a certain party has promised tax cuts for wealthiest few ( this will certainly benefit my family, but is that right at the expense of struggling hardworking families) and cutting inheritance tax, saving over £6 billion pounds in the first term for approx 0.8% of the population who need it least ?)

If you divide the country's population be divided in half ( north and south) during the last Tory term between 1980 and 1985 there were approx 103,600 job losses in the southern half and approx 1,032,0000 job losses in the North. Would I subject my fellow Northerners to such a fate?

I know who I won't be voting for and despair that this country should have such a short memory. I could go on regarding the reasons why I wouldn't betray the majority of hardworking, principled people in this country by wasting my vote on a "pretty"face with gushing false rhetoric, but then I might sound a bit preachy !!

Like those bits Dennis and what a great topic for inspiration.

I'll be voting. Like others have said- so much has gone in to my right to vote. Besides, if you don't vote you have no right to complain. I not saying who I'm voting for- TBH haven't quite decided yet- still have to read the manifestos! Honestly I think that very few seats are safe this time round. If there was ever a time to vote for who you want rather than tactical I'd say now's the time.

I will be voting. I get very cross at people who don't bother, and then complain about their government.

However, where my X will go is between me and the ballot box. I am surprised at anyone openly proclaiming their voting intentions on a public forum unrelated to politics, especially those who are supposed to be in a position of trust, and may be respected by others over whom they could possibly have some influence.
    Last edited by mizgeorge; 04-05-2010 at 10:59 AM.