Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CMYK colour format ...help!!

I think the problem is as much about monitor calibration as anything Peter. We're all very used to being able to look at things instantly on monitors, and forget that colour handling does vary from one system to another. Most day to day printing is still CMYK, and in certain colour ranges (especially blue tones) there can be really quite dramatic differences between what we see on screen, and a final print. Spot printing can solve this, as it can be checked with a pantone reference or similar, but this doesn't help wtih photographic images. With digital images (generally captured in RGB), which are then optimised for their on-screen look, this becomes even more of a problem. The thing that amuses me is that print companies offer to send a pdf proof of a process printed article - which is utterly meaningless when viewed on screen. Sometimes, the old, slower ways are still better.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I think the problem is as much about monitor calibration as anything Peter.
    Ah, that makes more sense, thank you. Clearly not thinking straight after a few days away. Colour match prediction does get a bit more tricky then - but I'm still not seeing how a CMYK separation will help if it's monitor cal! Adobe's "calibration" routines are ok for very basic approximations, but not much else.

The pdf example is a prime piece of daftness, liked that...

Thanks all of you for your suggestions.

Vistaprint weren't saying that images have to be in CMYK, just that it probably explained why I was disappointed with the colour. I think I have photoshop at work, so I am going to attempt to do it there tomorrow.

J.

I do indeed have microsoft publisher 2007 - I need to have a play!
    Thanks
    J.

P.S. how do get quotes from previous posts to appear in the blue box with quotation marks? (can you tell I'm not a techie?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
    P.S. how do get quotes from previous posts to appear in the blue box with quotation marks? (can you tell I'm not a techie?)
    Jodie, just use the 'reply with quote' button which is at the bottom right of any post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
    I do indeed have microsoft publisher 2007 - I need to have a play!
    glad to be of help Jodie, shame that the system (and it is the system, not a person) hung onto the post; it does it when it sees a lot of products cos it sees them as spam
    Di x