Thread: Is it possible to solder a jump ring to a geode that I have gilded with silver leaf?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is it possible to solder a jump ring to a geode that I have gilded with silver leaf?

Hello! I'm a first timer and I'm excited to finally be posting a question of my own!

I have been puzzling over this for months. I got some geode stones and want a metal or silver surround on them which shows the natural shape of the stone. I would like to attach jump rings to the metal so I can incorporate them into jewellery. After researching on the internet (after trying pmc paste and shattering a stone!) I bought gold size and silver leaf, got a couple of layers on then covered the stone in heat retardent paste to try and solder a jump ring on. The stone was safe but the solder did not flow. I really didn't want to use glue but pretty much already have when you think about it as I glued the silver leaf onto the stone already!

It's a conundrum as I bought (years ago in Lima), a pendant geode which looks like it has been gilded and it has a jump ring attached. I attach pics of both the Lima pendant and my own attempt.....

Any thoughts or advice on this would be greatly appreciated
    Eims
    Dublin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 003.jpg   002.jpg