Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Piercing saw and blade size question

Wow, that's a serious bit of kit, at an incredibly low price IMO. I wonder how it compares to the stuff you can get at Rio Grande?
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Also jewellers have permanently deformed chests from pressing the frames together
    Thats why I likew mine with a tension screw, no hard hard squashing needed.

OMG, I just bought a second hand Hegner on e-bay. My heart's still thumping as I got into a bit of a bidding war at the end. I'm hoping it'll mean I won't have to grip the sheet so hard with my left hand as I've been getting a bit of repetitive strain recently.

Yes, I know this is a rather old post, but I was wondering how you got on with the Hegner scroll saw. My saw work is a wee bit wonky and I'm wondering if a scroll saw might be the answer as I really need to cut down sawing and filing times. Plus, I'm also having to cut up some large sheets of aluminium and I'm hoping it would help with that too. I did look at the Dremel Moto Saw, but can't seem to find much about using it for cutting metal...

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

just catching up on some posts. I have been working (at a slower pace than usual - damned virus won't go away and I am tired of being so tired!)

I have been trying to sort out saw blades as my frustration with Vellorbe has hit new heights. Snagging and blunting so quickly now, I have been going through a variety of types. I like D'Arte, they don't snag, or go wandering - but do wear out quite quickly, Anchor - very nice, but seem to stretch - is that even possible?? And, a variety of 'own makes' from various companies - some were okay, others were brittle - but out of all of them, Anchor was the closest to not needing to put as many coffers in my swear box

But, then I found some 'Relentless' - well, I feel it wasn't my technique after all. Given I do have a bad neck and am always careful to keep the blade upright and put very little pressure on the frame. I also have one of those GreenLion frames (GL). It is very well balanced and feels good to use. Still have my KC, but for the majority, I now use the GL . I know the saying a bad works-person blames their tools - but is that always so?

I have rekindled my love of using the saw frame, even to the point of now cutting wires with it, rather than reaching for my clippers!

So then, where does one get 'Relentless' Blades? Good question. My stockist has run out and I am not sure when the next lot will be in. So, another visit to the land of Google may be in order!

Last edited by Wallace; 24-01-2015 at 06:53 PM.

That's interesting you should have bought that saw Wallace, I noticed someone else had taken possession of one on FB several months ago and forgot to ask how it was going. It's tempting as neither my KC or even my eclipse is doing the job for me but then it may be cookies vallorbe blades or it could just be me!

Have found these if they are any good http://www.alchemyandice.com/saw-bla...12-bundle.html

thanks Caroline,

They are now bookmarked, but out of the sizes that I often use. Have found an Amazon potential too

Haha Wallace - perhaps you missed this from last year
    http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5907

I'm glad it wasn't just me though!

I've yet to try a Green Lion frame, but have been tempted several times - I might just give in now

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Haha Wallace - perhaps you missed this from last year
    http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5907

I'm glad it wasn't just me though!

I've yet to try a Green Lion frame, but have been tempted several times - I might just give in now
    I did miss that, I think I was away from the forum last year during that time-ish. I did type in saw blades in the search engine, but it didn't come up. Dang it. I would have gone there a lot sooner and would probably had fewer greys at the pfaffing about

I love the frame, it took some getting used to, as it was heavier than the KC (made from Cast Iron), but it helps on the down stroke (can I say that, I mean it in the cleanest way possible??) and the balance is just sooooo gooooooood! Tweaking the end nuts (gawd, I am going to get into trouble) was initially a pain, and then I realised they were set for a right hand - and that was so instantly changeable.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    OMG, I just bought a second hand Hegner
    Somehow I knew that was coming one way or another