Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: :'( What am I doing wrong?

........ and I can't do maths for toffee!

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    i think a lot of us have worse things hidden away or even for sale lol x

Gemma as G says get youself a smooth cab to practice on x

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    That's your knuckes rapped Geti

Actually, I thought it was very funny - and tbh I might not have posted at all if I hadn't been amused. I'm sure Gemma took it in the lighthearted spirit it was intended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    Do you know, if that had been me I would have been far more hurt by the deafening silence. That silence spoke a thousand words, not one of us willing or able to say what needed to be said. Geti's response hit just the right note - it wasn't malicious in any sense and, as George said up there, it served to break the ice so that Gemma got the responses and feedback she needed.

What is the point of asking for feedback or help if all you get in response is false praise and platitudes? Nobody progresses that way
    I thought the posts were hurtful, condescending and unhelpful.

There was no deafening silence, just sarky comments.

The OP knew they'd got it wrong, and sought help. How many people post their failures?
    Give encouragement, not mockery.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Carole - do you remember when I reviewed your 1st website? How did that make you feel and what happened afterwards?

Arian that post had been up a long time before Geti replied and had been looked at by many people i think geti broke the ice right or wrong and i dont notice a helpful comment from yourself but as Lesley says its up to Gemma

Yes actually Geti, I'm glad you brought that up - I was gutted. What happened afterwards was that after coming round to yours with a crowbar and sorting you out, I had my site redone and it's now loads better.

Anyway - think enough said....maybe we could get back to Gemma now
    Gemma did that help at all? I know your work is generally fab but there's always
    a bug bear. Mine was hinges (still need LOTS more practice with them)
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Default Setting A Faceted Stone.

Dear Gemma, Forgive me if I state the obvious but here’s what to do. For a faceted stone you need a bezel with a bearer to support it. You can buy bearer strip, but it is tricky to use, so I make a tube within a tube, the inner one about 1mm lower.
    First you need some callipers so you can measure the diameter and height of your stone (preferably digital, try Lidl). Next get a cheap set of twist drills from a market, or pound shop. These will allow you to form the bezel without fiddling with your stone. They have smooth shanks from 1 1/2 to 6mm in half sizes.
    Cut some bezel strip to be about 1 1/2mm wider than the height of your stone. For length, twist some thin wire around the matching drill shank, or slightly larger, cut, straighten and measure. No maths. Now you have the dimensions of your bezel, you can form it around your drill shank, take it off and solder. Turn the stone on its head to try your bezel. It should fit snugly but not tightly. If it is too loose, cut it through with a fine saw blade, about size 4/0, solder and try it again. After each cut it will be a little smaller.
    Once your bezel is made, you make a second tube on a drill shank 1mm smaller in diameter
    and about 1mm lower. Once your bearer fits the bezel you can pick up the stone using a cone of Bluetack, try it in and make some adjustments. The outer edge of the bezel should be only very slightly taller than the girdle of the stone, and the pointy bit(culet) should not touch bottom with the base on. When soldering is complete and the work is polished, try the stone one more time, with some dental floss underneath so you can pull if the stone gets stuck before you are ready. Make sure the table of the stone is level, use a pusher as if on the points of a compass, push down the points in between.Then burnish by rubbing round and round with the side of the same pusher. Good luck D.

That's very good advice Dennis and succinctly put. Thankyou.

Totally not offended at all! Actually made me smile. Thanks Geti for getting the ball rolling on the replies. I was starting to think you were all abandoning me!
    I know should use a flat backed cab first but I like to run before I can walk. The bezel wasn't too wide but I think you're right in that it was too tall.

Thanks for all your advice and for worrying I'd be offended. You're all sweet- yes even you Geti I was a bit busy yest so didn't check the forum. I think this forum is great. I feel safe enough here to post disasters. I knew that you'll all have a giggle about it but I was also sure you'd be able to help me out too. As you did, so thanks muchly.

I need to get calipers. Trying to save pennies at the mo as I had to give up the day job. I did look in 2 different lidls but they didn't have any.

I had used a bearer of sorts- a jump ring soldered into place but it think its was a bit lopsided. I used a bezel rocker and tried burnishing but you need strong foundations to build a house after all..