Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PMC Certification Module 2 in Cheshire

Default PMC Certification Module 2 in Cheshire

Hi everyone

The Module 2 High Finish Certification is definitely going ahead in June.

This is a great one! It covers:

•Japanese Enamels
    •High Shine Mirror Finish
    •Ring with Bezel Setting
    •Decorating Ceramic Bisque Beads
    •Combining PMC with Fired Pottery
    •Using PMC 22k Gold

The course is over 3 days and you get loads of clay to play with! I'm running it on the 4th, 5th & 6th June at my studio in Nether Alderley, Cheshire. You can see more information on my website HERE

You can take the PMC Modules in any order, so you don't need to have done Module 1 to come to this class - I really like the fact you can pick the order!!

You just need to pay a deposit now to secure your place. I can help with local accommodation for anyone who would need to stay

Becci
    xx

Love this new modular approach & the PMC training has
    some interesting projects too
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

I think they're really gret projects Nic, they cover a really good range of techniques I think. Although I will be a nervous wreck when I have to hand out the PMC Gold to everyone!

I'm working on some sample pieces so that I can add some pictures to the website, so the pages are a work in progress at the moment. It'd be great if a little fairy came in and just sorted all my jobs out for me!!

Becci
    xx

I keep forgetting to ask this when I see these advertised.

What does certification actually give you? Is there a formal qualification at the end of all these, or is does it simply mean you're 'allowed' to teach others, like a pyramid selling thing?

Hi George

The Art Clay ones do entitle you to go on and teach others the Art Clay Certifications - which is why there's a lot more people doing that! And yes it reminds me of pyramid selling!!! There were reasons behind my decision NOT to go down the Art Clay route, I could've obviously but decided it wasn't for me.

The PMC Studio until now hasn't allowed anyone to offer their PMC certification, and the modules they offer were developed by Mitsubishi. Then MCSJ came up with their own diploma.

Its not a formal qualification. I can only speak for myself, when I made the decision to go and do the PMC Certifications 5 years ago, it was because I wanted to get a handle on what this "stuff" could do. I think that the certifications (my opinion again here!) offer the chance to try out different techniques to then take away and develop from there. A good grounding really.

B
    xx

but why do you need certification or can anyone teach PMC?

Anyone can list themselves on the PMC Guild's teacher list, you only have to be a member of the Guild, you don't have to have certificaiton. If you want to teach PMC Certification through The PMC Studio then you have to fulfil their criteria for being appointed an ATC, and part of that criteria is to have gained certification, but you are given a geographic area to cover.

You're asking why you need it? I didn't take the PMC Certificaiton to then go on and teach, and it was a couple of years before I did teach. I was already making and selling my work having been silversmithing for a few years. As I said previously I wanted to get a really good grasp of the techniques possible with PMC and understand the product.

I think everyone focuses on going on to teach, whats wrong with going on to create well made, well finished pieces of jewellery with the knowledge you've received from an excellent tutor ;o)

Again - just my opinion but I feel like AC wants to create teachers, and PMC wants to create makers.

Becci
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by FiredSilver View Post
    Anyone can list themselves on the PMC Guild's teacher list, you only have to be a member of the Guild, you don't have to have certificaiton. If you want to teach PMC Certification through The PMC Studio then you have to fulfil their criteria for being appointed an ATC, and part of that criteria is to have gained certification, but you are given a geographic area to cover.

You're asking why you need it? I didn't take the PMC Certificaiton to then go on and teach, and it was a couple of years before I did teach. I was already making and selling my work having been silversmithing for a few years. As I said previously I wanted to get a really good grasp of the techniques possible with PMC and understand the product.

I think everyone focuses on going on to teach, whats wrong with going on to create well made, well finished pieces of jewellery with the knowledge you've received from an excellent tutor ;o)

Again - just my opinion but I feel like AC wants to create teachers, and PMC wants to create makers.

Becci
    xx
    but do you really need the certification, who supplies it is it a qualification recognised in a work place, college bar the PMC ones, so why take it the only person that seems to win is the person taking your money

Jo
    As well as the certificate Becci's students gain something far more valuable.....
    A great teacher, lots of knowledge and guided practise.
    I'm pretty sure the PMC certification is the same as the ACS
    (in that you have to complete projects to a certain standard to receive it).
    This at least gives students some peace of mind, naturally their next step is to
    contact the tutor get more info.

I'd only do a certificate course if there was something in it for me....more knowledge or a better price.
    e.g. Many ACS suppliers give discount to certified/volume purchasers.

To be honest I guess most certificates are redundant in a Jewellery making workplace...
    A jewellery based degree would've been a more useful head start than my hons in English & Theology,
    but there are so many good courses, info sources & mentors that a dedicated person can fill in
    many of the gaps.

Qualifications may get you through the door, but it's your own two hands that keep you there.
    Becci as I said before I like these new PMC certification programmes it's wide topic range means
    people can then use it as a springboard to developing their own design styles.

Wouldn't be surprised if something similar happens in the ACS world
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

i can understand the gain of Knowledge Nic and i am not having a go at Becci, i am just interested to Know the reasoning behind the certificates and if you reallly needed them to teach