Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PMC Certification Module 2 in Cheshire

Now and again there are natural born teachers but for the rest of us the structure of the
    certificated courses help us form the framework for our own teaching...
    As to the reasoning behind certificates
    We're trained from an early age to like stars on our work. O-levels, A-levels, Degrees
    they're all just "counters" for the actions taken & knowledge gained.
    Do we really need them? Nope, but they sure look pretty on the wall....
    (Did I mention that some suppliers give certification discounts too, including USA ones)
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

=MuranoSilver;35829(Did I mention that some suppliers give certification discounts too, including USA ones)
    Nic xx
    For some reason that really doesnt sit well with me. Just cos you have a certificate you get a discount? Thats kinda a class distinction there. The certificate doesnt mean you are better than others, it just means you chose to spend money on doing it. Others who might be equally as talented or even more talented, might not feel the need for that certification preferring to use their money on supplies rather than bits of paper and yet they are going to be penalised for that? Sorry in my book that stinks.

Just my opinion, but i think thats just wrong.
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Don't worry Jo, I don't think you're having a go at me! I would've defriended you if you were LOL!!!!

People will have to attain a certain level in each of the projects in order to get their certificate. Yes, there are discounts available to them once they have gained certification and as Nic says from some of the USA supplies companies as well as UK suppliers.

Personally, I will still be running lots of classes as well as certification, they are an add-on to my existing classes really.

I'm happy to talk about it Jo, I think it should be talked about. People need to know what they're getting for their money.

B
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by FiredSilver View Post
    Don't worry Jo, I don't think you're having a go at me! I would've defriended you if you were LOL!!!!

People will have to attain a certain level in each of the projects in order to get their certificate. Yes, there are discounts available to them once they have gained certification and as Nic says from some of the USA supplies companies as well as UK suppliers.

Personally, I will still be running lots of classes as well as certification, they are an add-on to my existing classes really.

I'm happy to talk about it Jo, I think it should be talked about. People need to know what they're getting for their money.

B
    xx
    I used to love teaching at evening class but they decided that all teachers needed a recognised Teaching Qualification, at the time i had a young family and felt it wasent something i was able to do, going back to school. I suppose i am just wondering why you need the Certification to teach although i suppose you dont really do you?

Su, there are also discounts available for anyone who buys in bulk so you don't have to have the certification to get discounts.

I don't disagree with you by the way.

My opinion is that if you come to me and take a PMC Module you will get 3 (long!!) days of excellent tuition, in a range of interesting projects/techniques with a very experienced maker and tutor. There's no pressure on you to complete all 3 of the modules, you can just pick the one that covers what most interests you.

When I started silversmithing, I went to classes to learn techniques. I didn't expect a discount on silver from Cooksons or wherever! Yes, there are discounts available to you after you've completed it but for me thats not part of my marketing for these classes. Its all about understanding what PMC can do (and can't do)

B
    xx

No Jo, you don't need it to teach - and there are plenty of teachers out there who don't!!

I always say to people who are looking for a class, to look at the teacher's website. If the teacher has done certification you know that they have reached a certain level of competency. But I also tell people to look at the teachers work. I think thats more important - is their work well made, polished well, a style that you like, how long have they been making jewellery, how long have they been working with metal clay blah blah blah. All of these factors are important in making a decision.

I have had quite a few bookings lately from people who like my work and have chosen me purely on that basis - the fact that I'm PMC Certified means nothing to them!

No Jo, you don't need it to teach - and there are plenty of teachers out there who don't!!

I always say to people who are looking for a class, to look at the teacher's website. If the teacher has done certification you know that they have reached a certain level of competency. But I also tell people to look at the teachers work. I think thats more important - is their work well made, polished well, a style that you like, how long have they been making jewellery, how long have they been working with metal clay blah blah blah. All of these factors are important in making a decision.

I have had quite a few bookings lately from people who like my work and have chosen me purely on that basis - the fact that I'm PMC Certified means nothing to them!
    so another 'out of interest question' (nosy cow aint i) Becci why do you choose PMC over Silversmithing and by silversmithing do you mean the 'big stuff' x

sorry, thats me using the wrong terminology! no I don't mean "big stuff"

I don't choose PMC over sheet, I still do both. So, my boring life story.....

I had been at an evening class for about 4 years (for the equipment!!) when I relocated up to Cheshire. There were no evening classes up here that I could find so I was looking on the internet for ways to set up in a small, cheap way at home. I came across PMC, ordered a pack - made some really bad pieces and melted the life out of it!!! Decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and went on a Level 1 PMC Cert Class and the rest is history! I then had a baby and PMC was easier for me to use at home on the dining room table so all of my metal working tools went away. When I got my studio last year, I was able to get my metal tools back out. I don't have time to make as much as I'd like but I'm working on a few metal pieces at the moment so hopefully I'll have pictures soon.

B
    xx

I love hearing how people got into making ~ I started with metal clays because of the
    "toe dipping" potential too (there weren't any local classes here either) then went onto more
    traditional metalworking & now do both.
    Must admit it's the deep textures & polymer plate design possibilities that really keeps me hooked though
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

sorry, thats me using the wrong terminology! no I don't mean "big stuff"

B
    xx
    I'm never sure about whether I'm a silversmith or not. If you look at definitions, it's not very clear. I bash silver, so does that make me a silversmith. Just in case it doesn't, I never describe myself as one.