Hi...I'm Sandra and I live in Bedfordshire. I have just started on metal clay. (the latest on a long line of crafty hobbies)

My first effort went reasonably well, at least it stayed together. I have made 3 more pieces but they have all cracked and broken during sanding. These three have all been a bit thicker than the first effort, maybe 1/8".

After taking the piece from the packet I have kneaded it slightly, it has always rolled into a smooth ball and rolled out without cracks. It is only the next day after airdrying I have seen the cracks.

I am sure this will have been covered many times before on this forum but could someone please make a suggestion as to what I can do to prevent it happening again.

I guess the answer lies in the soil....no sorry wrong hobby....I guess the answer lies with the moisture of the clay but because it appears to be quite pliable and moist when rolling out I have assumed it is OK.

I am off to do a one day course in June but I will be pennyless before then if I have to keep on buying packets of clay. I know I can recycle the dried clay but I guess I will have lots of slip but no clay

TIA
Sandra