Thread: Hi

Default Hi

Hi, I am totally new to all this. I discovered a while ago that I adore silver and decided I want to work with it. I've bought lots of tools and supplies and have lots of ideas, but I am scared of messing things up. I looked for some sort of course in my area (north notts), but can't find anything that is part time evenings and weekend sort of thing. I've made loads of basic wire and bead stuff, but really want to move on. Any advice???

hi,

welcome to the forum, there are lots of helpful people on here so any questions you have just ask and we shall do our best to answer them. What are some of you ideas? Do you have any pictures of your 'basic' work to see how you can build on this? i am no means a master at jewellery making but if you put ideas on here some of the more creative members may help you out.

regards

Stuart

What started me off was reading 'Jewellery Making Manual' bySylvia Wicks ISBN 0-316-90484-8. It is very traditional and gives plenty of advice on jewellery making for beginners. It has a number of projects and lots of illustrations of beautiful jewellry, not just quick fixes. After that maybe 'Two In One Manuals,Jewellery, Sylvia Coles' ISBN1-84092-197-8. Other good authors are Jinks McGrath, Elizabeth Olver andTim McCreight. The real problem is that you can't ask a book questions when you are stuck, so ultimately you will learn much faster on a beginners course. You might have to go residential for a weekend. I have not mentioned metal clay which is a speciality that has only taken off in the last twelve years or so, but I suggest you learn some mainstream proceedures first,or you will get into a rut.
    Please be warned against buying lots of tools until you really need them and know more about them, or you will have a tool graveyard. Welcome to sweat and tears,Dennis.

You might have a look at Professional Jewellery Making Courses in the UK of between 1 and 5 days duration

I don't think they're too far from you, and are very highly thought of.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. Especially helpful to have the ISBN details as well as the titles for the books. I will have to try and work out how to post some pics, but I will probably be laughed at, I am sure they are not up to much really. I am not in a position to sign up for any sort of course other than perhaps the odd half day as I have a seriously ill hubby to care for at the moment. Making jewellery sort of keeps me sane. I did buy some silver clay with the intention of making ring mounts for some really unusual shaped stones I have, and then read some of the problems people have had and chickened out. Is this a case that I need to just go for it and learn by my mistakes???

Hi Tigger
    I second "In the Studio" as a great place for courses and the books suggested are all good ones
    Making silver clay mounts for unusual stones is possible but I'd suggest bezel wire is possibly easier
    (silver clay has a % shrinkage rate and so you have to enlarge the stone on a photocopier and
    build the clay around the enlargement)
    nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Hello and
    I stressed for years before buying some silver to play with. Eventually I bit the bullet and started playing. i've made some expensive mistakes but all in the name of learning.
    You could always start playing with copper first