Thread: like the look of this

Default like the look of this

Hi,
    stumbled across this handmade craft site and thinks it looks interesting! Have a look anyway.

I had a look. Things may be different in North America...but Fiona, I had a look at your brooches and I would not call them a craft. I wonder if we (across the pond) think of craft a bit differently than people in the UK. I think of crafting as soap making, basket making, jewellery made out of recyclables, paper art etc. I think what you make would be classified as goldsmithing. Or maybe fine art .
    I could be way off base on this!

No, Cath, you're spot on. usually, tho, things happen the other way round and crafters think of themselves as artisans whilst artisans are (as a rule) over-modest and consider themselves to be crafters. 'tis the British sense of inferiority.
    Di x

Canada inherited some of that sense of inferiority too!!

I know we all have different tastes, but to be honest, the whole look and feel of that one makes me shudder. I have all the time in the world for handmade crafts, but I can't cope with twee in any shape or form

Ha ha I know what you mean George. I'd like to think I was aiming for something a bit more upmarket for myself. It may suit others though.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy at the Beach View Post
    I had a look. Things may be different in North America...but Fiona, I had a look at your brooches and I would not call them a craft. I wonder if we (across the pond) think of craft a bit differently than people in the UK. I think of crafting as soap making, basket making, jewellery made out of recyclables, paper art etc. I think what you make would be classified as goldsmithing. Or maybe fine art .
    I could be way off base on this!
    Hi cathy,
    I didn't call the brooches on my site a craft....I just stumbled accorss the link to the craft website and thought people on this site may like to add their link (which you can do for free)....I'm nothing to do with this site....just found it and thought others may be interested....I understand it is a tiny bit twee though

what is "twee"? I've never heard that word before. LOL.

I understant Fiona! I love your work btw!

not Fiona, and not sure my definition is the best, but I've always used twee for something nauseatingly cute or sweet - think picture book cottages with rainbows and ribbons and sprinkles and flowers and and and........

Thank you!! I will adopt it for my vocabulary!