Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions please!

Default Opinions please!

I am gradually building up a collection of tools for home use as I want to do more silverwork at home, rather than waiting till my class where I don't always get as much done as I'd like, and I've been looking at Dremels and Dremel like things. I basically want it for polishing and the odd bit of light drilling, maybe I'll even experiment with engraving. I found this, and would like to know if you think it's a suitable tool - you all seem very experienced.
    Dremel Hobby Stylus Multi Tool: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Lots of people in your position go for Dremels and similar less expensive options, but if you are at all serious and likely to go on in the future you are better off to bite the bullet and go for pendant motor or micromotor. You will certainly bless the day you did so. What you are looking for is a smoothly variable speed preferably foot controlled, and a quick release handpiece to avoid faffing around with keys and wrenches. The rotating collet at the tip of the handpiece should be partially covered to protect your fingers.
    In general the rule is to go for the best you can afford, but shop around carefully. There is a feeling that students can make do with inferior tools, but I strongly disagree. It would be best if you could make the journey to a showroom with a sympathetic salesperson.
    Good luck , Dennis.

Hello,

i agree with Dennis, i started out buying a lower end multi purpose tool like a dremel. Unfortunately as it was one speed it didnt do the job well and it soon overheated and well that was the end of that. I now have a foredom pendant drill, this is by far the best tool i have in my workshop including all my casting equipment. It has all the attributes Dennis mentioned ie quick release, covered collet and the main one the foot peddle. Oh how the foot peddle makes life easier. You really can see the difference in my work since i bought one. Plus im already starting to save on the fact im not wearing out so many polishing/grinding bits on my old drill. Yes its an expensive bit of kit but it will last a long time and you will never look back.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Stuart

Plus if you're going to try burr engraving the pendant drills/micro motors
    always seem to remain more centred (they don't skitter about so much)
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Thanks all for your comments I agree with what you're all saying, but these are my problems: Being disabled (wheelchair dependant) and unable to work I get benefit, and it's pitiful - but then I guess budget is the bain of most people's life!. Second I cannot use a foot pedal. Due to the nature of my disability I have pretty much no coordination, and limited sensation below the knee. My Friday class has a lovely pendant motor which I have tried to use over and over but I just have no control over it/what my feet do. I get very frustrated as everything seems to take me twice as long lol. I was told I probably wouldn't be able to do what I do because of the intricacy , given my difficulties, and dodgy eyes, but I proved my tutor wrong and churn out, I think, nice stuff (probably nowhere near your standards though - you're all so good). . Third is space. I don't want to be buying inferior stuff, but things need to be easy to use and easy to grip. I don't want to seem like I'm putting obstacles in your way - and perhaps I should have explained this all in my first post, but if you could suggest anything I'd love to see/hear it. Thanks again

A micro motor is also adjustable from a dial on the front andwill give you similar functionality to a pendant motor
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

This post intentonally left blank .

On Monday, Lidl's specials include a Dremel-alike kit. £15.

* Versatile tool for drilling, milling, engraving, polishing, cleaning, cutting and grinding
    * With 9.6V NiMH 1000 mAh rechargeable battery
    * Variable speed (rpm): 5000 - 25,000
    * Spindle lock button for easy attachment change
    * Supplied with a 45-piece accessory set in a transparent storage case
    * Includes robust storage case and charger
    * Includes a wide range of attachments
    * 3 year manufacturer's warranty

Quote Originally Posted by wheely View Post
    I am gradually building up a collection of tools for home use as I want to do more silverwork at home, rather than waiting till my class where I don't always get as much done as I'd like, and I've been looking at Dremels and Dremel like things. I basically want it for polishing and the odd bit of light drilling, maybe I'll even experiment with engraving. I found this, and would like to know if you think it's a suitable tool - you all seem very experienced.
    Dremel Hobby Stylus Multi Tool: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
    Hi Wheely,
    I am just starting out working with silver and copper and bought a Dremel about a month ago. Although it is a cheaper model than the professionals use, for me as a newbie its perfect. It enables me to try out all sort of techniques and types of bits that I would never have used otherwise and at a fraction of the cost. I prefer not using the foot pedal and have a flexshaft on mine which I hang on a hook in the garage I work in. I'd say have a go at the Dremel, it cost me £60 in B&Q and just happened to be served by an assistant who was also a silversmith/jeweller too and he couldn't recommend it enough.

I'll find the link to the Dremel I bought...http://www.dremel-direct.com/acatalo..._Case.htmlyour

Hope that helps. Let us know how you get on with your choice.
    Jules

Many thanks all for your help, I now have an idea of what to look for and after hours of looking it's a toss up between Petal's Dremel (funnily enough I had considered the 300 series!) and a Proxxon micromotor. Hmmm decisions decisions...

arian, cheers for the info, also see lidl are doing digital callipers for £9. Off there methinks!