Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Polishing

Quote Originally Posted by Hart-Star View Post
    I'm not sure where the thread is about the cheapo barrel tumbler from Argos - National Geographic , but folks might like to note that it is now in their post-festivity sale at £22
    having trouble finding it on their website...
    where did you see it?

Is this the one? Buy National Geographic Rock Tumbler. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

I've just reserved one too - not that I'll ever be able to get to the shops in this weather!

Ah thanks!
    Doesn't look as I expected but I think I will go for it

Hi there,

Silver tends to be dull after soldering and you can use very, very fine steel wool to polish or a buffing wheel. Also a fine brass brush works well.

small pieces are difficult and can be dangerous to polish on a motor so I would recommend hand polishing.

Good luck
    Vannetta
    Author of Encyclopedia of Contemporary Jewellery Making Techniques.

I use the following method for pickling. I works for me. Follow all the health and safety guidelines provided with the salts though.

Get an old jam jar with a lid, put in half a pint of hot water and dissolve some pickling salts in the water (follow the guidelines from the manufacturer for the amount of salts you need for half a pint of water). Put the lid on the jar and swirl gently to dissolve the salts. Thats the pickle made.

To use, get a saucepan, put a saucer in the bottom and half fill the pan with water, bring the water to the boil and turn off the heat (the saucer stops the pickle pot sitting directly over the hot metal of the pan). Put your piece of silver into the pickle pot (jam jar!), put the lid back on and place the pickle pot, very carefully, into the saucepan. Leave to pickle.

When your piece is clean, remove with plastic tweezers and rinse. Put the lid on your pickle pot and put somewhere safe until next time. Put the pan on and repeat the process of warming the pickle. It's like a slow cooker but in miniature and works for me as I only do a bit of silver work now and again.