Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Polishing

Quote Originally Posted by MuranoSilver View Post
    After Pickling I just stick mine in a barrel polisher the whole thing comes out really shiny
    Nic x
    Yep, I was going to suggest this if others hadn't.

I've just ordered a 3lb polishing kit with the finned barrel, steel shot and some powdered soap for polishing my silver.

There's just not enough time in the world to polish lots of tiny head pins after they've been made

You can change out the steel shot for a ceramic media to get a nice matt effect on your silver too if you feel like a change.

Plus you can get the smooth barrel and some grits and tumble your own stones or sea glass too for use in other projects.

Whilst the topic of barrel polishers is being discussed, does anyone know of a supplier of really small stainless shot? When I try to polish items with detail and undercuts that the barreling shot/media won't fit into I end up with an uneven finish and areas that couldn't be reached. Is it worth trying to use smaller shot and is there even any available?
    Ta!
    Wend

I know you can get very fine pins, which should get in to the nooks and crannies, in fact my mixed shot had loads in when i got it. I spent hours and hours picking them all out because it drove me nuts when they got trapped in chains and once it even punctured my barrell lid. If I still have them you'd be welcome to them, I'd have to look though!

Thanks for that, I'll look out for some with pins in, and if you ever come across your regected ones let me know! :-)
    Wend

Default Polishing

Really interesting comments. I have a barrel polisher that I originally had for polishing tumbling stones. Manchester minerals sell them and they are not too bad a price, you just have to get a rubber barrel to use with them to complete the set. Before I used this,while I was at college they suggested using Brasso metal polish and a silver cloth, both of which can be brought from the local supermarket. Your hands get filthy but it does give a nice shine for very little money.

I got the Prima CHM-917 Chocolate Heaven Fondue Set from John Lewis for my pickle ( johnlewis.com/230483469/Product.aspx ). It is a great size and has been reduced since I bought mine!

Slightly off topic, but on the subject of pickle I use a wide mouthed jar and when I need it just stand it in a bowl of hot water or if I need to do a lot at once put it in a saucepan of hot water and just keep it warm, lasts for ages and saves you a fortune.

I just bought a crock pot / slow cooker from Wilkinson's for my pickling yesterday infact.

Smile

Some great tips in this thread!

I used to have all the equipment at uni for polishing, now I have my own workshop its difficult working out what will work if you don't own every piece of equipment under the sun.

I bought some rouge to use on my felt and cloth drill bits, but everything just turns black... I have a barrel washer and tend to use that, its just when I've set a stone and occasionally need to refinish something if I've been a bit clumsy (As I've been told never to put a piece of work in the barrel washer with a stone in it).

Also, to be a bit greedy and ask another polishing question... my barrel washer doesn't always spin, is it too loaded up or is it breaking a few months after buying it? I've taken it apart and the band is on fine (sometimes it slips of and stops altogether).

With regards to the polishing of links I find the easiest thing to do is to use fine sand paper, fine wire wool (I LOVE this stuff!!), and a polishing cloth.

It depends on your barrel polisher, what its maximum load is.

Mine will do 3lb total so the weight of the barrel has to equal 3lb or below total weight. If I wanted two going at the same time they would have to weight 1.5lb each including all the water and shot etc.

If you have too much in them it will make the belts slip and slow the machine putting a strain on the motor which may burn out and stop completely.

Best way to fill them is to put them on some scales, put your silver in and then everything else up to the maximum specified for your machine then you're not going to strain it