Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Learning Viking Weave

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Market Deeping
    Posts
    2,693

    Default Learning Viking Weave

    Thought I'd try Viking Weave as I got a kit from Hubby ~
    Really, really enjoyed it and can't believe how much the weave grows when you put it through the draw plate...
    Have anly taken a few "snapshots" so far but if anyones interested there's some great instructions in
    March 2005 Art Jewelry mag (available Here as a PDF for $3.95) & Reproduced in the book "A complete Guide to making Wire Jewellery"
    There's a Free step by step photo tutorial here too.

    This is my first ever (unfinished) Viking weave, I've put some Work in Progress pics on flickr.
    Really really enjoyed it and ended up making three bracelets today.
    Loads to do until they're finished but plans are brewing for PMC end caps
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    246

    Default

    That looks fab Nic! Brilliant for your first piece and so neat too.
    Fi Wilson
    Flickr

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Shetland
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Looks good. Due to wheer I live I am always doing demonstrations of this chain for the tourists and one of our archeology sites. I like doing the double knit normally and have recently been playing with tapering it (but that is a work in progress).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Chepstow
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    Brilliant Nic! I've JUST finished a necklace for my brother's girlfriend and have made end caps from tube and domed circles. It was made from 0.5mm wire, 'single weave' on 5 spokes around a 7mm plastic dowel*. I also practiced a 'double weave' on 5 spokes around the dowel and it was much stiffer, but a better texture (will post pics tomorrow). The single weave I managed to get through a 3mm hole (althought I am using a piece of softwood so the hole has enlarged slightly after a few uses - that's why the drawplate should be hardwood), and the double through a 4mm hole. Both weaves doubled in length.

    (*When I taught viking weave to my class I gave them hexagonal unsharpened pencils to use (a cheap option - 1 pack of 10 pencils), which I won't do again as some of the students pulled the wire quite tight and the wire bit' into the pencil so it took ages to wiggle the weaves off the pencils All the effort was worth it though to see the look on their faces when even the most uneven, loopy, twisted weaves came out of the drawplate transformed )

    Thank you for that photo tutorial link - it has another method of adding wire that I haven't seen before. The tutorial I learnt from is Vikingknit Directions, and have since written my own for my class, but I have never been entirely happy with the way I add the wire as sometimes you get an obvious 'double stitch' (well I can see it!) so will try the 'twisting wire join' next time.

    This is my 1000th post!!
    Last edited by Ominicci; 14-04-2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: This is my 1000th post!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Market Deeping
    Posts
    2,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by indigoblue View Post
    That looks fab Nic! Brilliant for your first piece and so neat too.
    ~ I used to love wire work then went off it for aaaaages. This might just get me into it again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheltie View Post
    Looks good. Due to wheer I live I am always doing demonstrations of this chain for the tourists and one of our archeology sites. I like doing the double knit normally and have recently been playing with tapering it (but that is a work in progress).
    Not tried the double knit yet but would love to see some examples (if you haven't sold them all already as I bet they're gorgeous!) Tapering it sounds interesting, is that something you do in the weave or by making it go through the not pulling all the way through on the draw plate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominicci View Post
    Brilliant Nic! I've JUST finished a necklace for my brother's girlfriend and have made end caps from tube and domed circles. It was made from 0.5mm wire, 'single weave' on 5 spokes around a 7mm plastic dowel*. I also practiced a 'double weave' on 5 spokes around the dowel and it was much stiffer, but a better texture (will post pics tomorrow). The single weave I managed to get through a 3mm hole (althought I am using a piece of softwood so the hole has enlarged slightly after a few uses - that's why the drawplate should be hardwood), and the double through a 4mm hole. Both weaves doubled in length.
    (*When I taught viking weave to my class I gave them hexagonal unsharpened pencils to use (a cheap option - 1 pack of 10 pencils), which I won't do again as some of the students pulled the wire quite tight and the wire bit' into the pencil so it took ages to wiggle the weaves off the pencils All the effort was worth it though to see the look on their faces when even the most uneven, loopy, twisted weaves came out of the drawplate transformed)

    Thank you for that photo tutorial link - it has another method of adding wire that I haven't seen before. The tutorial I learnt from is Vikingknit Directions, and have since written my own for my class, but I have never been entirely happy with the way I add the wire as sometimes you get an obvious 'double stitch' (well I can see it!) so will try the 'twisting wire join' next time.

    This is my 1000th post!!
    CONGRATULATIONS on your 1000th Post
    OH my goodness cant wait to see your necklaces - that's my next project planned so you will be my inspiration.
    Thanks Nicci! Keep looking at the bright pink wires now and wondering If I could make a Rainbow, lol
    I found a few photo tutorials that one had the best pictures, the pencil idea sounds cool. The kit I was bought was from StephanieEddy.com and cost $49.00 it came with wire, a delrin style draw plate and delrin hexagonal mandrel with a 6 petal daisy on the top. A bit costly but very easy to start on.
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Shetland
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuranoSilver View Post
    ~ I used to love wire work then went off it for aaaaages. This might just get me into it again!

    Not tried the double knit yet but would love to see some examples (if you haven't sold them all already as I bet they're gorgeous!) Tapering it sounds interesting, is that something you do in the weave or by making it go through the not pulling all the way through on the draw plate?

    CONGRATULATIONS on your 1000th Post
    OH my goodness cant wait to see your necklaces - that's my next project planned so you will be my inspiration.
    Thanks Nicci! Keep looking at the bright pink wires now and wondering If I could make a Rainbow, lol
    I found a few photo tutorials that one had the best pictures, the pencil idea sounds cool. The kit I was bought was from StephanieEddy.com and cost $49.00 it came with wire, a delrin style draw plate and delrin hexagonal mandrel with a 6 petal daisy on the top. A bit costly but very easy to start on.
    I have some photos at home so will post them later tonight/tomorrow morning.

    The tapered version is working your way up from 0.5, 0.6,0.7, 0.8 and 0.9 then back down again. The only problem with this is that you cannot pull it through a draw plate and has to be tugged by hand and a vice, annealed regularly and then finished by tapping with a hammer. I tink I may have a pic of my first attempt which became part of a necklace. Again I will post it later (on works computer at present.

    Cheers
    S

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Market Deeping
    Posts
    2,693

    Default

    Wow Sheltie
    Can't wait to see those ~ that tapered weave sounds like a very masterful thing to do
    bet it looks gorgeous
    If you ever do a tutorial on tapered weave can I be first in the queue
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gravesend, Kent, United Kingdom
    Posts
    165

    Default

    That's gorgeous Nic - looks so complicated!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Gorgeous Nic. Its a weave thats on my (miles long) to do list

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Shetland
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Here is the first tapered viking knit that I did. and believe me the easy part was the weave the hard part was pulling it into shape. The piece was too short for a bracelet so I put it into the front part of a necklace. The remaining chain was a 5 stitch single knit pulled down to 3mm and it worked.

    Please excuse the quality of the photo as it was done quickly before the necklace was given to the National Gulf Veterans and Families Association (NGVFA) as a raffle prize for their respite break week at the end of March
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tapered viking knit close up.jpg  

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •