Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can You Make a decent Living Making Jewellery?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Can You Make a decent Living Making Jewellery?

Seems a bit of a dumb question- but seriously - I wonder.
    Almost everyone I know who is a creative jeweller has another job or career.

I am a Realtor and thinking of retiring and focusing on my jewellery. I am pretty good at marketing and pricing and I know it is really hard to make enough money to live on by jewellery alone.

Here in Manitoba most stores that sell what I make carry various artists jewellery. Most are in the same ballpark price wise. ($75- $180 retail per piece). The stores say they sell an average of 4 pieces of jewellery per artist per month. That means having an awful lot of venues to sell at. Where I live there just aren't that many stores!
    I guess the thing to do is get accounts outside of your own cachment area.

Any comments on this? I'm sure many of you sell your jewellery successfully and make a living at it.
    Can you share any secrets

I've been wondering this Cathy
    Jane,
    (although I quite like Sunny!)

Yes you can.

The potential from your local traders sounds a bit limited so, go global! Learn as much as you can about internet marketing and seo and get your website on page 1 of google - it really isn't difficult, just time consuming. Also whilst your sales are low, try to keep your overheads low as well - search out jewellery websites that offer a yearly membership subscription and has tie ins with manufacturers and suppliers offering a discount to the members, a guild site for example.

That sounds like a cunning plan Geti - any suggestions?
    Di x

I'm all ears .........................
    Jane,

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    That sounds like a cunning plan Geti - any suggestions?
    I have heard of a guild site, but I can't remember the details. I'll have to have a search around and see if I can find the details somewhere - sounded quite good though. Something about supplier discounts, sharing exhibition space at craft fairs etc. I only had a glance at the flyer.

Maybe you could post us a link.
    Jane,

I think you can if you waork hard and have a unique product for example Profile for lulubug on Etsy recently quit her day job and does
    Etsy full time. It has also helps she was a featured seller on Etsy, lots of exposure. Looks at Etsy's "Quit your Day Job" feature, lots of metalsminths in there Search: quit your day job :: Etsy Blog

I now earn my living from it, then did have to open my own shop to get my jewellery out there!
    My sales are about 20% my own creations, part other British designers, part overseas designers
    and about 35% everyday essentials, earrings, chains rings etc (bought from a larger company).

I also teach, write for mags & have an online shop. Murano Silver is "5" in May.
    The business was supported in it's first year by me working 2 jobs. The second year I broke even, third was a loss
    (due to opening a second shop and it not working) & it's been growing ever since.

I was willing to go out on a limb and take some risks but I guess I could've gone back into sales if it hadn't worked.
    The only downside is the higher the risk, the bigger chance that limb will break and you'll land on your bum (like me in my third year)
    Only you can work out which path is right for you and how much risk you'll be happy with but I hope you go for it as
    doing what you love and loving what you do is wonderful
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by MuranoSilver View Post
    I now earn my living from it, then did have to open my own shop to get my jewellery out there!
    My sales are about 20% my own creations, part other British designers, part overseas designers
    and about 35% everyday essentials, earrings, chains rings etc (bought from a larger company).

I also teach, write for mags & have an online shop. Murano Silver is "5" in May.
    The business was supported in it's first year by me working 2 jobs. The second year I broke even, third was a loss
    (due to opening a second shop and it not working) & it's been growing ever since.

I was willing to go out on a limb and take some risks but I guess I could've gone back into sales if it hadn't worked.
    The only downside is the higher the risk, the bigger chance that limb will break and you'll land on your bum (like me in my third year)
    Only you can work out which path is right for you and how much risk you'll be happy with but I hope you go for it as
    doing what you love and loving what you do is wonderful
    Nic x
    Very inspirational, I want to be like you when I grow up

I wish I had the confidence to teach though, maybe one day.

L x