Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can You Make a decent Living Making Jewellery?

I think you can if you waork hard and have a unique product for example Profile for lulubug on Etsy recently quit her day job and does
    Etsy full time. It has also helps she was a featured seller on Etsy, lots of exposure. Looks at Etsy's "Quit your Day Job" feature, lots of metalsminths in there Search: quit your day job :: Etsy Blog

I now earn my living from it, then did have to open my own shop to get my jewellery out there!
    My sales are about 20% my own creations, part other British designers, part overseas designers
    and about 35% everyday essentials, earrings, chains rings etc (bought from a larger company).

I also teach, write for mags & have an online shop. Murano Silver is "5" in May.
    The business was supported in it's first year by me working 2 jobs. The second year I broke even, third was a loss
    (due to opening a second shop and it not working) & it's been growing ever since.

I was willing to go out on a limb and take some risks but I guess I could've gone back into sales if it hadn't worked.
    The only downside is the higher the risk, the bigger chance that limb will break and you'll land on your bum (like me in my third year)
    Only you can work out which path is right for you and how much risk you'll be happy with but I hope you go for it as
    doing what you love and loving what you do is wonderful
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by MuranoSilver View Post
    I now earn my living from it, then did have to open my own shop to get my jewellery out there!
    My sales are about 20% my own creations, part other British designers, part overseas designers
    and about 35% everyday essentials, earrings, chains rings etc (bought from a larger company).

I also teach, write for mags & have an online shop. Murano Silver is "5" in May.
    The business was supported in it's first year by me working 2 jobs. The second year I broke even, third was a loss
    (due to opening a second shop and it not working) & it's been growing ever since.

I was willing to go out on a limb and take some risks but I guess I could've gone back into sales if it hadn't worked.
    The only downside is the higher the risk, the bigger chance that limb will break and you'll land on your bum (like me in my third year)
    Only you can work out which path is right for you and how much risk you'll be happy with but I hope you go for it as
    doing what you love and loving what you do is wonderful
    Nic x
    Very inspirational, I want to be like you when I grow up

I wish I had the confidence to teach though, maybe one day.

L x

Nic - how long have you been making jewellery for? And how long after you started learning did you start selling, and then how long was it before you were making your living from it? Basically, I'm looking for your complete career history! .

I have only just started silversmithing, but I have never loved doing anything as much as I love this, and if there were a way to make a living at it one day, I would be so happy. I have an old endowment policy that matures in 7 years, and it would enable me to take a year or 2 sabbatical from work. I could spend that time really trying to make a go of this, and if I fall flat on my face, I've got the option of returning to my current job, so I'm probably in the best situation possible.

So, I guess my queestion is, is it possible to get good enough (at silversmithing, marketing, selling, web design, running a small business etc etc....) in 7 years worth of spare time for this to be a realistic goal?

Ta

Claire

Fabulous replies!! Thank you all. I'll search for discount offers...never even thought of that.
    As far as Etsy goes- I think I'll pass that by for the time being. I did have a couple of goes at it but found it was a full time job just keeping up with photography and uploading listings daily. I'd rather make jewellery. (I know lots of people are very successful at etsy- I just think it will be low on my list)
    I agree with the comment of go global. I have to do this. Right now I sell in each area of the city and I feel if I go into any more stores in Winnipeg I will over exposing myself. (feel like a flasher when I say that)

I don't need to make a fortune. Just enough.

Hello Everyone

I am new to this forum and to be honest new to using a forum so be patient with me...
    I would really like to make a living out of jewellery making but not sure how.
    I put stuff on ebay have sold stuff but not as much as I would like also got a couple of returning customers but still not enough to make a living usually just enough to cover to cost to buy new beads...
    I read that going on craft fairs (I just found a website which gives you locations) but I don't think that I can right now with having my 1 year old...

Aslo heard that jewellery competitions are good too. I have entered a couple but not in the UK. ( I cannot find any let me know if you know where and when ...) One of my bracelet is in a huuuuuggggee catalouge which I am so proud of and an other is in the final and waiting for the results.

I was thinking about finding someone who wants to work with me (ideally who has her/his own business as I haven't got my own) not much luck so far....

And I have no idea how to set up a business. I mean if i do it and won't pay tax at the begining I can get in trouble if I do it properly will probably loose the house as I don't think will make enogh money to start with....

any sugestions

Thanks

x

Quote Originally Posted by disorganised View Post
    Nic - how long have you been making jewellery for? And how long after you started learning did you start selling, and then how long was it before you were making your living from it? Basically, I'm looking for your complete career history! .

I have only just started silver smithing, but I have never loved doing anything as much as I love this, and if there were a way to make a living at it one day, I would be so happy. I have an old endowment policy that matures in 7 years, and it would enable me to take a year or 2 sabbatical from work. I could spend that time really trying to make a go of this, and if I fall flat on my face, I've got the option of returning to my current job, so I'm probably in the best situation possible.

So, I guess my question is, is it possible to get good enough (at silver smithing, marketing, selling, web design, running a small business etc etc....) in 7 years worth of spare time for this to be a realistic goal?

Ta
    Claire
    Hi Claire
    Sorry I didn't answer sooner but I've been away for three days at the guild of enamellers conference..
    (which was bloomin amazing and fantastic! )
    I'm been making jewellery and twiddling since I was 16 but making jewellery to sell for about 5 years..
    My first pieces were beaded works ~ more stringing and arranging than "making" but the proceeds of those creations helped fund courses, equipment and the time needed to add to my skill set.

Seven years is a good long time to not only add to your skill set with short courses but also to find the "thing" that sets you on fire..with me it was discovering precious metal clays for you it may be something different.
    The great part is that when your discover your creational muse it makes the other skills you learn even more exciting...
    As you've asked for it this is my "career history" ~ all of which could be easily taken as courses & developed within your 7 year period (though you'll possibly have a different muse)
    1) Started with Beading & wire work....
    2) Moved to Chain Maille
    3) Discovered Silver Clay *(GOT very enthused about it)
    4) Learnt Soldering and traditional metal working techniques to add to my silver clay options
    (also got interested in other silver working techniques because of this)
    5) Learnt casting - to understand where that may be better for me and how I might replicate silver clay pieces
    6) Learnt Polymer Clay to add colour to my pieces
    7) Learnt Resin Clay to add colour to my pieces
    8) Learnt Enamelling to add colour to my pieces
    9) Learnt Dichroic Glass making to add colour & design to my pieces
    (NB when I say learnt I mean took a course not became a master, lol)
    I'm still constantly learning new techniques in all these areas & adding more design elements and areas into work.

So YES - my suggestion would be start the journey, find your creative fuel and go for it!
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

I have been making jewellery for 3yrs now... thankfully i have lots of returning customers but where i make lots of money is from jewellery parties xx

MuranoSilver you story is really inspirational!

I would love to make the main staple of my career art and jewellery based but don’t know how to go about really doing it!

I’m from a Fine Art background and started making jewellery last year – more like putting things together than proper silversmithing. I have only just got my act together with my website but am really slow at updating and putting new products on.

I use Google analytics which ticks away in the background of my website (I would recommend it to everyone!) – it’s really interesting and I do have quite a lot of views of my site but very few sales. Can anyone suggest why this might be? I find it really strange particularly as whenever I do craft shows with my stuff I do pretty well but struggle online even though as I said I get quite a few hits.

Any advice would be welcomed!

ps: I know lots of things on my site say "sold out" but they are currently in the Created in Birmingham shop on a sale or return basis and are not sold at the moment - but fingers crossed! LOL
    Last edited by LillyTea; 13-04-2010 at 03:21 PM.
    Cute, kitsch and handmade: Teastained Jewellery
    Info and tips: Teastained Jewellery Blog

In agreeance with Nic,You certainly can earn a good living from it - Some know my story, others don't I won't bore you to death but in a relatively short amount of time I have my own studio, I teach probably 90% of the time and the people that come along literally come from all over the UK. I make to commission only. In addition to silver ,gold, and platinum work I'm also heavily into lampworking and fused glass. I've just secured a number of prestigious brand names to supply materials and tools and a brand new website along with all the lovelly supplies is due to be launched in June.
    It's incredibly hard work, sometimes frustrating but never boring and wouldn't change a thing.