Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my Rock Tumbler - now what?

Default Got my Rock Tumbler - now what?

Hi All - at last! I managed to get my hands on a National Geographic Rock Tumbler on eBay - it was a very later listing finish [after midnight] and no-one else was bidding on it, so I managed to get myself a bargain!

Anyway it's just arrived and I have no idea what to do next.
    Do I need to buy special stuff for it? I guess I don't use the polishing compounds that come with it. What do I use to polish jewellery and where do I get it?

Also tips on how to use this to polish jewellery, how long it takes etc etc etc would be very useful, I'm a total tumbling beginner.

Thanks

E
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

I know you need to get some steel shot like this Stainless Steel Mixed Shot 1kg - Cooksongold.com
    and some soap and water. Im not sure on the timings though as I don't actually have a tumbler but I want one!

I use steel pin shot mixture. It has all sorts of little odd shaped pieces of steel.
    I fill it about 2/3 full of water and add a lubricant. You can use shavings of ivory soap, dish detergent or the material sold for tumbling- can't remember what its called but frankly ivory soap worked just the same.

I leave my jewellery in for a couple of hours. You want to leave it long enough for the job to be done. I have left stuff in there over night and had no negative results. ( a couple of hours usually works fine though)

Hi Evie,
    You might find some useful comments on this thread http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/nee...polishers.html. I know George recommends NOT using general washing up liquid with a tumbler, as there are some nasty additives that will not be kind to jewellery.

Hope that helps.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Hi Evie,
    You might find some useful comments on this thread http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/nee...polishers.html. I know George recommends NOT using general washing up liquid with a tumbler, as there are some nasty additives that will not be kind to jewellery.

Hope that helps.
    Ecovers not as bad though, but a kilo of barrelbrite will last forever and then some!
    Lucinda

Where do you get Ivory Soap from. I looked at Barrelbrite on CG but as it's a hazardous chemical I don't want to use that - I'm trying to limit the toxicty of my studio, so going for a soapy option would be better. Why do you need soap anyway? I've read somewhere that is stops the stainless steel shot from rusting - but stainless steel isn't meant to rust? I'm confused.
    Website | Instagram

Ivory Soap's a North American product. You can use pure soap flakes (in the detergents aisle at the supermarket). Otherwise burnishing soap B (which isn't hazardous unless inhaled).

Manchester Minerals do a very cost effective mixed steel shot and barrelling soap.

Manchester Minerals Polishing and Setting

For a NG tumbler how much shot would I use at one time - is it worth buying 1kg? My tutor at college said that Goulds sell it in 500g bags for about £11 apparently so if I don't need 1kg, I'd think I'd opt for getting less.
    Website | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Milomade View Post
    For a NG tumbler how much shot would I use at one time - is it worth buying 1kg? My tutor at college said that Goulds sell it in 500g bags for about £11 apparently so if I don't need 1kg, I'd think I'd opt for getting less.
    I've just had a look and it has fewer shapes in the mix and it doesn't appear to have any pins,you may want to ring them to find out for sure though x