Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my Rock Tumbler - now what?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Quinn View Post
    I've just had a look and it has fewer shapes in the mix and it doesn't appear to have any pins,you may want to ring them to find out for sure though x
    I'm not convinced it's stainless either. You SO do not want regular steel.

I also think manchester minerals is a good bet. It may be slightly cheaper on their Hilton Bros site if you open a trade account.

I bought my shot for the NG tumbler from ukge - I bought 650g of the stainless steel shot for ~£16 (+P&P) and I've still got quite a lot in the pot - I probably used ~1/2 the pot (although I did manage to drop some down the sink! so I don't have as much left as before! doh!).

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I'm not convinced it's stainless either. You SO do not want regular steel.
    I have to admit that I can't remember if mine is SS or not... So I treat it as if it is non-stainless (wash, dry carefully then spray with a bit of WD40).
    That said, the tumbler isn't something I use all that often.

HI there

Thanks for the info and link - nice to hear from another NGRT user - I think I'll got for a 650g pot from them as I agree with previous comments, that the stuff from Goulds doesn't look that great. Off to the supermarket this afternoon, so I'll look out for some pure soap flakes. I really want to do some tumbline this weekend to try it out, but got to wait for the shot to arrive. I might set it up to tumble some stones just to see how noisy it is.

Do you think tumbling uses up a lot of electricity?
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Milomade View Post
    HI there

Thanks for the info and link - nice to hear from another NGRT user - I think I'll got for a 650g pot from them as I agree with previous comments, that the stuff from Goulds doesn't look that great. Off to the supermarket this afternoon, so I'll look out for some pure soap flakes. I really want to do some tumbline this weekend to try it out, but got to wait for the shot to arrive. I might set it up to tumble some stones just to see how noisy it is.

Do you think tumbling uses up a lot of electricity?
    Don't use the tumbler for rocks! Keep it nice and clean and only use it for your silver. Otherwise you could end up with some deposits in there from the rock tumbling that will damage your silver.

I have the NG tumbler and it's fairly noisy, but I stick it in the utility room with the tumble dryer going at the same time and I'd say they were about as bad as each other. You just don't want it sitting right next to you in the workshop as you'll get a bit of a headache.

Oh dear - not really got anywhere to put the tumbler apart from my studio. It's going to annoy the hell out of my partner especially as he's off work at the moment due to the easter break.
    I didn't realise that I shuld keep it just for jewellery. I wanted to experiment by tumbling some of the sea glass I've got and see what happens to it, but maybe I shouldn't do that either.
    Website | Instagram

You can get more barrels. I have two barrels for my machine so I can use one for silver and one for stones. Not that I have yet!! This is my tumbler. UKGE do sell spare barrels.

I have a finned barrel for tumbling with shot, but smooth barrels for tumbling stones. No cross-contamination.
    As for the noise, you could try sticking a cardboard box over it and see if that dulls it enough, or just run it overnight.

I've got a National Geographic tumbler - so don't think I have an option of buying an extra drum for it. I wanted to get a tubler like yours, but couldn't afford it - I've been watching each one that appeared on eBay for the past few months and each one went for more than I could spend...so i grabbed the chance to get a NG one when no-one else was bidding on it as so many people on here said that they were OK.
    Website | Instagram

My shot is definately stainless steel.
    I had no idea Ivory soap was only Northamerican!! Its just pure soap- so any pure soap would work. The burnishing powder is really easier to use. Over herer people swear by Dawn Liquid dishwashing detergent for their tumblers. I don't use it, but a whole lot of peeps do.
    I use my tumbler a lot- usually once a day. I just make sure the shot is covered with water and leave it in the barrel when I"m not using it. Same shot for a year and a half now and no problem.
    As for the noise- I agree- put a box over it and also put a folded towel under it. A lot of the noise is vibration- that should make a difference.
    I had a lot of woes with my tumble when I first got it...leaking and turning jewellery dark. I have all those issue sorted out now and my tumbler is ALMOST my best friend.