Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm scared of my flex shaft!

Default I'm scared of my flex shaft!

I feel like a bit of an idiot writing this but it's true! I have only used it for drilling as everything else freaks me out.
    I want to use it to clean up metal and I am sure it does many other wonderful things but whenever I go near a piece with it I feel like it is going to shoot out of my hand and whack me in the face or something. Of it course it would help if I knew what half of the attachments did, is there any good resource which could help explain all the bits and burrs?
    I have a Foredom with the jewellers kit by the way.

Lou

Lou, Instead of holding it like a pen, try holding the handpiece like a potato pealer, using your thumb to steady yourself on the work, or your benchpeg. Always hold your work down against something firm. It takes learning, but once you have the hang of it, it is much safer.
    Secondly, use the under side of the burr, or wheel and use your steadied hand to stop it driftig away from you. Practice on scrap metal to work out what speeds you need for different sizes of burr and see what happens when you get to an edge or corner. You cant buy a piano and play a sonata on your fist day. Kind regards Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Lou, Instead of holding it like a pen, try holding the handpiece like a potato pealer, using your thumb to steady yourself on the work, or your benchpeg. Always hold your work down against something firm. It takes learning, but once you have the hang of it, it is much safer.
    Secondly, use the under side of the burr, or wheel and use your steadied hand to stop it driftig away from you. Practice on scrap metal to work out what speeds you need for different sizes of burr and see what happens when you get to an edge or corner. You cant buy a piano and play a sonata on your fist day. Kind regards Dennis.
    Fantastic tips Dennis, ones i shall store for myself when i finally get a pendent drill, and you passing words really struck a chord with me (no pun intended) and really made me sit and think, cos i get so frustrated if i dont think something is good enough, and each one of my pieces is a first time for something so your piano comment has really helped put a proper prospective on it.

Thank you
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

There's a book available on it, Amazon.com: Making the Most of Your Flex-shaft (9780971349568): Karen Christians: Books - although I have to say I'm not a big fan of it. There's a lot of resources around on the various bits & burrs; some suggestions on using it are here - [Ganoksin] Jewelry Making - Some Flexible Shaft Tricks

For most of the attachments, you don't want to be running the tool too fast - drilling & burring don't generally need high speeds, and will knacker the temper of the bit once the heat builds up. If at all possible, use a lubricant - Burr life, beeswax or an oil (even olive oil, but be warned you'll probably cover everything nearby with the spray!).

What attachments are particularly giving you gyp?

Thank you Dennis for the wise words I will def put those into practice!

Peter- Thanks for the links I will and check those out now. I have some burr life, I find it quite difficult to keep it at one speed it seems to be getting faster even though I am lightly touching the peddle (maybe its just me).
    I have only used the drill bits and the cup burr I have although the cup burr is sooo tiny its hard to see. As for all of the other attachments I haven't tried because I don't really know what they do

Im not doing any major metal work yet only soldering as I use metal clay but it would be nice to use the thing with confidence.

Lou

I'm not exactly scared of mine, but I don't particularly like the little calico and wool mops as they seem to catch the edges and can flick the item I'm polishing. I'm getting better, but don't polish most of my work as textured finishes are either tumbled or finished with a brass brush in the flexi drive.
    Jane,
    (although I quite like Sunny!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I find it quite difficult to keep it at one speed it seems to be getting faster even though I am lightly touching the peddle (maybe its just me).
    Just practice, I'm afraid. The foot pedal on my Foredom does require a light touch - about the only time I put my foot hard down on it is when I'm using polishing attachments (and they'll all catch on edges, no matter what size!).

I have only used the drill bits and the cup burr I have although the cup burr is sooo tiny its hard to see. As for all of the other attachments I haven't tried because I don't really know what they do
    Cup burrs I usually use in a pin vice - there's no easy way to clear the swarf other than tapping them out, and they clog up so quickly that I don't use them under power as a general rule.
    IIRC, the Foredom kit has a leaflet with it trying to sell you on the various attachments & abrasives included?

Cup burrs I usually use in a pin vice - there's no easy way to clear the swarf other than tapping them out, and they clog up so quickly that I don't use them under power as a general rule.
    IIRC, the Foredom kit has a leaflet with it trying to sell you on the various attachments & abrasives included?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I got a leaflet but it was all about the hammerhead hand piece I think it was. I'll just have to keep practicing, thanks for all the tips!
    Last edited by Lou; 08-04-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: my quote wrapping didn't work, doh!

OK... And do you have the hammer handpiece as well, or just the leaflet?!

I'll see if I can find the leaflet that came with mine; should be able to scan it.
    Not much use if they don't tell you what you've got!
    Foredom have an accessories catalogue here: http://www.foredom.com/foundations/D...Complete%2Epdf covering some of the use; I can't see a download for the AK11 set (which I'm assuming is what you've got - AK11 Jewelers Assortment Kit, 60-Pc - Detail information for AK11 Jewelers Assortment Kit, 60-Pc )

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    OK... And do you have the hammer handpiece as well, or just the leaflet?!

I'll see if I can find the leaflet that came with mine; should be able to scan it.
    Not much use if they don't tell you what you've got!
    Foredom have an accessories catalogue here: http://www.foredom.com/foundations/D...Complete%2Epdf covering some of the use; I can't see a download for the AK11 set (which I'm assuming is what you've got - AK11 Jewelers Assortment Kit, 60-Pc - Detail information for AK11 Jewelers Assortment Kit, 60-Pc )
    I don't have the hammer handpiece just the leaflet. I have the number 30 and the quick release. Thats the kit I have, that leaflet helps a little thank you, at least I have a rough idea what the bits and pieces do now!