Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silversmithing and Jewellery Making-Hillsborough College

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
    you cant beat a man with big tools can you Lise and Geti has some of the biggest and most powerful that i have seen !
    *sigh* i have yet to sample his wares
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Hi Cal

There seem to be a few people on the course who are either re-taking it (obviously progressing with their work, not flunking the first time round!) and some who use the workshop at other times, so I assume its possible to keep returning (ufortunately the fee will probably still apply).
    We are working on 'linking' at the moment, but these other students are shaping bowls and practising enamelling already and are definetely more advanced than us beginners
    There's a wide range of people and we all get along well in the workshop setting everyone's kinda bouncing idea's off of each other and sharinf inspirations. The tutor, Sue, is welcoming and enthusiastic, and I say that having had a lot of 'By The Lesson Plan' tutors. She's well wicked.

If Im there again in September Ill say hi

Default Silversmithing at Hillsborough

Hi,

I have also taken a course at Hillsborough and can say that they have an excellent well equipt workshop and the tutor is brilliant - she obviously knows her stuff and there are plenty of techniques to learn and try out.

On the downside, if you are looking for a structured course then this is maybe not the one for you, altough basic techniques are introduced you are pretty much left to your own devices from there so it can be difficult if you are not sure how to go about something. There seems to be quite a difference between the 3 classes (they run Mon, Tues and Wed), one class were doing casting which we had not done anything about so they do move at the pace of the group but you have to be prepaired to push yourself. The class is quite large so as there is only one tutor she is spread pretty thin at times and as there are continuing students from last time they do demand a lot of time as they are doing more complex things (although you can pick their brains!). It is also not cheap, although the actual course fee is reasonable you soon get dragged into the metal working web and end up buying silver and a saw and a toolbox etc etc.

On the whole I would recommend this course as it does give you a basic set of skills to develop and as I said the tutor is really good.

Does anyone know of any other courses in the sheffield area? Any feedback?