Thread: Beginner soldering help...

Question Beginner soldering help...

Hello,

I recently went on a jewellery course and made a 2mm silver bangle, I have bought all the tools and I am trying to make a 3mm square wire bangle, however I cannon get the solder to flow, the joint is tight and clean, so I have put it down to either two things:

The flux - I have got borax powder and easy flo flux powder - How should i be using them / mixixng them?

or my torch - I have the standard torch from cooksons - is this good enough to heat this?

On a couple of occasions, the solder has balled up, other times it has done nothing!!

Many thanks in advance for your help! : )

I'd say it's almost certainly the torch. The standard 'kit' torch from Cookson's simply isn't up to much more than small-scale jobs.

Here's a couple of tut's I've watched and they are excellent

YouTube - Silver Soldering by Andrew Berry - Jewellery Repair Bench Tips Techniques Part 1

YouTube - Art Jewelry - Annealing Metal

G is right. Its crucial to get the right torch, I got the same one as G (a Nimrod T75 Micro torch, but the Landland torch is good too ) and its FAB.

hope that helps.
    Jules

Laura, you do not mention what solder you are using. Borax is ground with water to a milky consistancy and goes with hard or medium solder. Easy flux powder is mixied with water to a thin cream and goes with easy solder. If you want a low expense torch go to an ironmonger, Leyland shop, or DIY place and get a small hand torch like plumbers use. The top screws onto a gas cylinder about 12cm high which sould say 'Butane-Propane mix'.
    If you can afford it get a self igniting one. Also make sure that your shop is reliable for refills. If you get your skates on you will be finished today, but solder on a metal tray somewhere safe like the top of your cooker to avoid fires. The flame is quite hot and must be kept back and moved around to avoid overheatng your silver. In semi-darkness the bangle should only glow to a dull red. Heat the bangle, not the solder. Good luck Dennis.

Hi I'm a beginner so I'm no expert but i can tell you what i was taught, and works for me. I bought a GoSystem torch from B&Q, i have the small one for most things but for bangles I use the large one, it works fine, i have made a few bangles. The gas cannisters aren't that expensive either. I haven't tried anything else so can't compare but these work for me

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your help, i tried it with a blow torch my dad had in the garage and it worked!! yey!!

THANKS!!