Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sievert Soldering Torch

Default Sievert Soldering Torch

Hi

I am considering buying the Sievert Torch Kit from Cooksons but am concerned about using propane gas.

First of all is it safe to keep in the house (spare bedroom, I have converted to a craft room but will still house visitors from time to time)?

Second, which type of propane gas should I use? I have seen cylinders for sale online that need a regulator (included in the Torch Kit), but also containers of propane - available from Argos and Homebase that just seem to have a screw top (?) and are used for camping stoves etc.

I haven't attempted soldering before but do want to buy a good torch that will last, can be used for a variety of tasks (firing pmc for example), and be cost effective (butane gas canisters don't seem to last long), but I am very concerned about safety.

All advice gratefully received.

Kind Regards

Personally, I'm a bit twitchy about storing gas cylinders in the house. Certainly many rental contracts prohibit it, might be worth checking with your insurers as to how they view it.

As for the cylinders, any standard propane cylinder with a POL fitting - as sold by caravan stores, for example. The quick connect & "patio gas" systems aren't going to fit - you just screw the regulator into the fitting on the cylinder and tighten it with a suitable spanner. The really dinky cylinders - around 4kg IIRC - should last a long while, as you aren't running the torch continuously as you would, for example, a forge.

They're pretty versatile torches all told; the only thing that would tear me away from mine would be a switch to oxypropane (or a watertorch, but only for smaller stuff).

Thanks Ps Bond

Is it ok to store the gas cylinders outdoors or do they have to be inside? I do have a shed but it does have some possible inflammables inside, although is a good distance from the house. I am leaning towards the Sievert torch in preference to the butane 'blow torch' but don't want to endanger the household.

Many thanks for your reply

Alot of stand alone gas heaters use propane gas and these are indoor items, but you would have to check out your insurance policy etc just incase your not covered.

Stu

Thanks Stu

Can't find anything specifically in my insurance policy that prohibits use of propane gas. But, I suppose the calor gas heaters work on the same principle, as you say, so can't be a major hazard....

Many thanks

I use a Sievert torch with a propane tank indoors and (touch wood) have never had any worries with it. You need the red tank, a small one will last ages. Just take a few sensible precautions - I keep an appropriate fire entinguisher with arms reach and I always turn the gas off at the tank first, then at the torch. Then, as soon as I've popped the piece I'm working on into the pickle I open the torch valves to let the gas out of the pipe and give a quick check to make sure the tank valve is closed tight. If you always let the gas between the tank and the torch out there's less risk of blow-back (at least that's what my evening class tutor told me). I'm lucky enough to have outside doors on my workroom so I keep them ajar and if there was any hint of a problem I could throw the cyclinder outside quickly but if you can't do that just try and have a contingency plan. I think of all the torches/tank combinations it's probably the most stable - I would worry about using oxy-acetylene indoors (don't know why - just sounds scary) but to be honest they all have safety valves and regulators so you'd probably have to be really unlucky to have a problem. Just check it regularly for leaks and make sure you shut it off properly when you leave the room. Hope that helps!

Sorry , I know this is an old thread , but im having a problem with an old torch setup that i bought second hand, the gas is coming thru the seivert torch up to the angle and when i put the 3939 nozzel on there is only the smallest flame coming out, its like there is not enough pressure in the gas , I have a regular non adjustable regulator on the propane tank , should I have an adjustable one ? I bought a new nozzle thinking it was the problem but still the same .

What pressure is the regulator set to? I use a 1-4 bar with my Sievert, whereas the fixed pressure regulators I have around are in the order of 37mbar and wouldn't help much.

Not sure as I'm away from it but if it's 37 mb I have more luck with a cigarette lighter, so you use an adjustable 1-4 bar , that would be normal then I take it?₩

0.35 - 2 bar is enough for most things, I've just got a bad habit of putting silly sized burners on mine which consume far more gas.