Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you struggle with 'perfectionism'?

Default learn by any mistake

Last edited by ben b; 13-09-2009 at 01:04 AM.

I think you have to be a bit of a perfectionist if you expect people to buy your stuff. I always strive for perfection, though I don't always achieve it. I know the stuff I do now is 100 times better than what I was making 10 years ago but I still try to do better.

I can relate to almost everything said here. I've sold a few pieces of jewellery but I sold a helluva lot of turned wooden bowls and stuff. I always wanted to underprice them but DH wouldn't allow it. I spent a lot of time on finishing but sometimes I would look at a shape and think 'oh, that's wonky, can't sell that.'

Just recently I've looked at the bowls I have left (actually they're out all the time in use as fruit bowls and stuff) and, do you know what? They are bloody good! I can hardly believe that I actually made them. I think the secret is to put a bit of distance between you and what you've made, but that's not always easy.

And, to be honest, if you strive perfection you will achieve the very best you can. If you aim for just okay, you shouldn't be selling!
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by Solunar Silver Studio View Post
    When we make something beautiful, we know every step that went into it - every triumph, every mistake...and if something is less than perfect in our mind, the little fault is all we see...despite the fact that our creation is beautiful to everyone else...

Does that sound familiar...

I'm suffering a bit of a 'crisis of confidence' here..and I need some advice...

How do you go about quelling that little voice in your mind that tells you your latest piece of work (as well as many others) is not up to scratch?

Barbara
    It's hard to excepet but the fact is that is you will never be happy with your own work, that,s the challange thats what drives you falward. thats what being an artist is about. its not about ego, and thats the really hard bit cus we all like complements.i try and tell myself this all the time. I have done ok making jewellery but one bad market or fest and my confedence grumbles.but that what pushes you on. if thats what you want? does that make any sort of .................................................. .........................

All the time! I can't make it go away LOL.

I guess it is comforting in a way to hear that you all suffer in the same way...but it doesn't exactly help!!

Am I going to suffer this agony every time I make something??

Is there a psychiatrist/psychologist in the house....????!!

Anyone who can help me sort my head out!!

.....form an orderly queue behind me now!!

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I think you have to be a bit of a perfectionist if you expect people to buy your stuff. I always strive for perfection, though I don't always achieve it. I know the stuff I do now is 100 times better than what I was making 10 years ago but I still try to do better.
    I agree Carole.

I try to get things perfect, but i don't stress too much now if it's not. I've spent so much time in the past trying to correct things that almost no-one except a jeweller would even spot. I just try and progress and learn from my experience.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Default all the time!

I feel like this all the time, not sure I'll ever make anything I think is good enough to sell, even if I've spent 3 days filing sanding etc. I can still see imperfections on the surface... to the point where I get so frustrated I give up and that's the point that a piece is 'finished'.
    How do you know when a piece is finished? I suffer from major anxiousness about the quality of my work.
    Any advice on when you know your stuff is good enough to sell?

Thanks and sorry to sound so whiney
    Ceri x

Quote Originally Posted by cezerpringle View Post
    I feel like this all the time, not sure I'll ever make anything I think is good enough to sell, even if I've spent 3 days filing sanding etc. I can still see imperfections on the surface... to the point where I get so frustrated I give up and that's the point that a piece is 'finished'.
    How do you know when a piece is finished? I suffer from major anxiousness about the quality of my work.
    Any advice on when you know your stuff is good enough to sell?

Thanks and sorry to sound so whiney
    Ceri x
    I would take a look at other peoples hand crafted work in shops, galleries and online, you will see imperfections in most if not all apart from the silversmiths at the top of their game. I recently did a recky into a gallery as a potential for placing my work there, all the jewellery was tarnished and close inspection showed many imperfections. Dont be too hard on yourself, have a look around and you will feel much better.
    Paula