Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a new laptop- PC or Mac? Your recommendations please

Mwah ha ha ha!!! I have got my mits on DH's netbook, which will have to do for now. Behold I have an avatar pic now
    I'm getting a general consensus that the Mac is the way to go so will have to save up for a bit as even the cheapest one is £800.
    Still, right tool for the job and all that.

Mac all the way. I find PCs die after a year if you don´t buy external hard drive, and macs are just so much nicer looking, easier to use, lighter, everything. I´ve never owned anything but and never will. They also have better programs, and their assistance is great if you buy the 3year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Pryor View Post
    I find PCs die after a year if you don´t buy external hard drive...
    Yet magically they don't if you do? I particularly like how this tallies with the following:

I´ve never owned anything but [a mac] and never will
    Fundamentally, buy whatever suits you - as I think I've said before. "I like the design more" is perfectly valid, there's no need to try and gild it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemart View Post
    My laptop is officially deceased. Sniff.
    Anyway, I haven't bought a computer for several years and tapping away on my iPod touch is starting to get irritating. A shiny new laptop is required, please help me choose one. Will be used for website design and maintenance plus Internet access.

Mac all the way for me, never had a problem with mine. I am on my 3rd Macbook now and love it!

Wow! sounds like mac is the overwhelming fav!

Not for me though. I have a Toshiba Tecra notebook and I love it. This is my third Toshiba notebook in the last 18 years. I find the Tecra to be really well made. Very tough. I carry my computer with me on appointments constantly and while I am careful of it, its had a few drops and bumps etc. It is tryly tough. I have never had any trouble with it. Of course this computer is my bread and butter and I use it for at least 4-5 hours a day for work- so it better be good.
    Both my children have mac notebooks- they like them. (they were far cheaper than my Tecra though)

As a total general non tecchy way to sum up the two - you'll get a higher spec model for your money easily with a PC, but Windows can take a bit of looking after to keep it performing well (and sorry, but an external hard drive wont make any difference unless you are short on disc space!). If you opt for a Mac be prepared for extra cost, but a much better behaved baby!
    Last edited by agent_44; 08-04-2010 at 04:09 PM.
    Lucinda

Lucinda, please could you expand on what it takes to look after Windows to keep it performing well?
    I like the idea of a macbook especially the "goes wrong less" aspect but am sorely tempted by the prospect of a higher spec PC.

Well, many people talk of Windows 'getting slow' over time and that can be caused by a number of things due to the way it works. It's always rectifiable one way or another - things like disk defragmentation can help and using a utility to keep your registry clean and free of dead keys and references for example. But in the worst case you can always reinstall your Operating System and programs (having backed up your data of course!) which will generally take your PC back to the performance level you had when it was brand-spanking-new. It's really not that hard, and there are programs that enable you to take an 'image' of your fully installed and configured PC so that if you want to do this then you have one install task to get your PC rebuilt with your OS, all your programs and configuration options (the most common/popular is probably Norton Ghost, or is that Symantec Ghost now, I forget!).

The number programs you install can also have an impact because many of them have agents that are always running whether you are using that particular piece of software or not, and each will use a share of your computer's resource, but in these cases you can upgrade your memory or other relevant components to alleviate it if you should find yourself in that situation.

Another thing people often have trouble with are the bells and whistles "Internet Security" suites available. If you go into PC World for AntiVirus software they usually try to get you to spend more cash on one of these instead. A lot of people I know who have had these find they are terrible resource hogs, and can reduce your PC's performance. IMO a lot of the features are patronisingly unnecessary too.

Another potential benefit of Windows now is that Windows 7 seems to be getting a lot of positive reviews, including from people who generally are quite anti Microsoft. Not sure how it behaves over time, but it certainly seems to be a big improvement!

(And for the record I am not particularly pro-Windows, we have at least 4 different OS's running in this house, including a Mac or two!)
    Lucinda

Thanks Lucinda, thats really helpful - explains why DH always has more computer trouble than me as he is always adding or removing programs, downloading things and so on. In contrast I only install new things ocaissionally or upload my photographs. Probably would benefit from a good Internet security solution though as it was a virus that wrecked my old laptop.

I use a ThinkPad running Kubuntu Linux, and I love it. I'm a former Mac-user, and have the zeal of the convert; I'd never go back. My iMac crashed way more times than this (second-hand) T60 has. Having said that, my partner's job is to look after servers running Linux, so if I do run into problems I have help on hand! I rarely do run into difficulties, though, and I'm no techy. ThinkPads aren't cheap laptops, but they are excellent quality and tough. No shiny, brightly-coloured patterned plastic cases, but I'm a fan of basic black.