Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dapping punches

Default Dapping punches

I'm going to be silver coring some beads so need to get some dapping punches.
    The range of stuff available is bewildering and I am unsure what to go for, should I get just a handful of individual punches or a complete set on a plinth? also prices seem to range from under a tenner to several hundred pounds. Presumably the very cheapest will prove to be a false economy but I don't want to spend more than is necessary to get a decent quality tool.
    I have seen on the durston website that they now make a rather nice looking dapping set but Cookies do not appear to stock it and I have no idea how much it costs.
    Any help and advice much appreciated.

you certainly don't need a Durston - much as we would all love one they are very expensive at $250 plus post and custom duty from the States (Rio Grande). I do think you should buy a set on a plinth though because once you start doming (another word for dapping) you'll want to do more. A number of us have this one and it's done us just fine. When it arrives you will need to 'dress' the punches because the don't have the very fine finish of the expensive sets. That's easily done though using micromesh - it's quite therapeutic in front of the telly

With tools such as this you should obviously buy the very best you can afford but when you're just starting out that's not always possible. Start selling and yuo can buy a Durston with the proceeds

ETA: although Durston is a UK company, the only place I've found to get the dapping punches is the States. Sick or what?
    Di x

I have just sent an email to Durston asking if they are available to buy in the UK - will post their eventual response.

Thanks for the link Di, I have that one on my ebay watch list. Hesitate to buy from this seller though as I have had less than sparkling service from them in the past. I had ordered some letter punches and recieved some that were a different make and completely different size.

I have to say I was a bit dubious when I first ordered from him, given the lowish rating, but as friends had used him happily I decided to give it a try - it was only on something fairly cheap at first. I've since used him about half a dozen times with no issues, other than delivery isn't all that swift. Reading his feedback, it seems the problems are with his birdhouses!
    Di x

If you're just going to be coring glass beads, you might want to get a beadliner - it is much easier. There's going to be an extremely good one available in the UK pretty soon, or there are a number of others that could be recommended. I use both techniques, and there are far fewer casualties with the beadliner

Any chance of a link George?

Have just had an email from Durston. Apparently you can buy direct from them for £175 plus vat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemart View Post
    Have just had an email from Durston. Apparently you can buy direct from them for £175 plus vat.
    mmm wonder what else you can buy direct ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jemart View Post
    Any chance of a link George?
    This is probably the most popular. As I say, it might be worth waiting a couple of weeks

http://host.pappapak17.com/~artinthe/