Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a new laptop- PC or Mac? Your recommendations please

I'm definitely a Mac convert as I find them much more intuitive. I've used them for about 5 years and never had anything go wrong or had a virus, despite not having any protection.

It's interesting you mention about Macs being the machine of choice for creatives. When I'm not twiddling with bits of metal, I'm a web developer in a large digital agency, and virtually ALL the developers (= serious tech geek coders, who have no love for Photoshop) use Macs.

When my home Windows PC stopped working last year (I already had a 12" ibook G4 but with a very small hard drive), I opted for a MacBook Pro, at the highest spec I could afford. The build quality, ergonomics, reliablity and performance was just better than a Windows PC.

Also, the other plus for using a Mac at home for me, is that I can use well supported open-source software, like the OpenOffice software suite (word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database software suite) and GIMP (graphics software with virtually all the features of Photoshop) and they're both FREE!

I can install a 'virtual machine' on my Mac that runs a fully-functional Windows PC machine, and use Windows software from INSIDE my Mac.

OK.. I'll stop now..

You can't beat a ZX Spectrum - mine's still going strong and still uses the original elastic bands for winding it up

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPlayer View Post
    Also, the other plus for using a Mac at home for me, is that I can use well supported open-source software, like the OpenOffice software suite (word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database software suite) and GIMP (graphics software with virtually all the features of Photoshop) and they're both FREE!

I can install a 'virtual machine' on my Mac that runs a fully-functional Windows PC machine, and use Windows software from INSIDE my Mac.

OK.. I'll stop now..
    In all of that bit, I can cheerfully substitute Linux for Mac
    (well, with a bit of grammar mangling as well...)

Openoffice, GIMP, Inkscape (vector-based drawing package) and Virtualbox (for virtual machines) all run under MacOS, Windows and Linux.

To see what else is available as alternatives to the commercial packages, have a look at Find Open Source Alternatives to commercial software | Open Source Alternative - osalt.com
    Many of them aren't *quite* as highly polished as the more expensive ones, GIMP being a good example, but they're still very good.

Quote Originally Posted by geti-titanium View Post
    You can't beat a ZX Spectrum - mine's still going strong and still uses the original elastic bands for winding it up
    Vic20. And yes, it does still work...

I still have a working and boxed ZX81 which is the original home basic programmers machine unless of course you wanted the home built ZX80 which you had to perch a cool bottle of milk on.

The Spectrum was a fantastic little computer with 48k of memory and a completely dreadful sound chip.

I actually prefer my Mac to my desktop PC for anything artistic and find it far more user friendly. I also loathe Linux with a vengeance.

Ah, but you can go further back than the ZX80...

As for loathing Linux, why? OS X is basically Linux

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Many of them aren't *quite* as highly polished as the more expensive ones, GIMP being a good example, but they're still very good.
    That may be true, though I do use GIMP at home and it serves my needs adequately. I also have a full version of Adobe Photoshop CS2 Creative Suite, but on a Windows PC with a reasonable spec, it was just too slow.

I've found that the code in graphic intensive software (be it Photoshop, or open source) just seems to run better and quicker on Macs

I thought Linux was for "geeks with too much time on their hands" or at least if you type in google "Linux is for" that is the flavour of the top responses . I have used Mac for 20+ years, I did have once a sony vaio which was ok but I always had my Mac at the same time. They are pricey there is no denying it, but oh so shiny and cool to look at. If the machine you want is to go on a jewellers workbench then go with the zx whatsit rubber band driven but if you can afford it then go with Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    I thought Linux was for "geeks with too much time on their hands"
    Used to be, yes. These days it's a lot more user-friendly.

Ultimately though, a computer is nothing more than a tool to do a job. Most of the things I work on don't look anything like desktop computers, and that's the way I prefer them.