Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting into galleries

Default Getting into galleries

I would like to aproach some local galleries, I live in 2 places as my husband works away so I have 2 bites at the cherry. My problem is I hate promoting myself as I feel I'm being pushy and I clam up. i wondered if anyone could give me a few tips how to go about this. I currently work mainly with glass and ceramics but once i get my hallmark and my skills get better I hope to sell silver jewellery too. My friend just bought 2 twisted bangles from me, so maybe I can do this...... my first silver sales!!!!
    I was thinking of sending a DVD showing a range of my work so i didn't have to do it face to face, or would it be better to do it in person? Last time i tried they just said no they only bought from the NEC and didn't even want to look at my work.
    thanks
    Jill
    Last edited by jille; 28-03-2010 at 07:23 AM.

Well I'm not a gallery but I own a small shop and here are some things which might get my interest.
    A small intro letter with a fold out might be a better bet than a DVD.
    Wouldn't put a DVD into my PC because of time issues / virus concerns.
    (some folks might not have a DVD in store)

It should have at least 4 or 5 good clear pictures of product.
    Perhaps a small ethical or source statement e.g.
    "All items are handmade by myself in the UK using UK supplied materials wherever possible"

Should have sample process e.g. Wholesale cost, RRP
    Bear in mind many galleries use x3 mark-up

Say in the letter that you'll telephone within a few days to see if you might show them some work in person.
    Phone them to gauge interest.... if they say no ~ thank them for their time and say that as a small designer,
    looking to grow their business, you'd very much appreciate and feedback they might have.
    Use a phase like:
    "How might I make my work more appealing to galleries like yourself?"
    You might get some useful feedback from them, perhaps even another opportunity later in the year.

If they say yes then you can go and show them a range up your work
    Hope that helps & sorry if it's a bit showing your granny how to suck eggs
    (not meant to be)
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Thanks Nic that sounds really helpful, I appreciate your advice as I know nothing about retail. Lots of peopletell me they like my work, it sells well at fairs and exhibitions so i'm sure i could get it into galleries if I went about it in the right way, i know if i go to a gallery looking like I'm at the dentists that probably puts people off. How do i talk about my work without looking like i'm saying "how good am i?" If I can practice that part I would feel more confident.
    Jill

Jille, i'm like you, this is a daunting prospect. People seem to like my work and this is an avenue i'd like to explore.

Nic, your advice is really welcome and helpful. Thankyou! When you say galleries generally charge 3x, would you take this into account in the price you approach them with or is this something you negotiate on?

Thanks. Tabby

I'd say you definitely want to get your prices sorted out before you approach galleries/shops. Nic has offered some good advice in the past, one of which was in answer to my question about selling to a shop. It meant I completely changed my pricing and as a result put my prices up considerably. You need to work out an hourly rate, work out how long you take to make your pieces and its normally x2 components, plus hourly rate.

hope that helps.xx
    Jules

Jille ~ that's why a warm up letter would help, if they say they're interested enough to see you then that's a great sign....
    Gallery (and shop) owners have limited time, so if they're seeing you then they already like your products

Before you even start talking about your work thank the owner for seeing you..e.g
    Thank you for seeing my work I'm glad you liked the product info I sent you.
    Ideally have the literature handy (especially if it's a while between sending and visiting)
    Ask them a little about their business
    e.g Someone who came in recently complimented me on the way I had the shop laid out and asked about what
    designers I currently had and why...
    This will give you an idea of what is interesting to them.
    e.g From that he gathered I like
    1) British designers
    2) The things to be made in the UK
    3) Unique Quirky Designs
    4) That they can't look "high street"
    He said he had a lot of ranges which I was welcome to look at, but there were some that might be particularly suitable...(I bought those).
    Because he'd been so interested in me & the business I gave up my time to see his stuff....
    much of which wasn't suitable BUT some was and I ordered it.

Shops buy products to sell but they also buy the People making/marketing them.
    If you have good marketing info and a genuine interest in helping them sell your jewellery (i.e. win, win situations)
    then your odds of selling getting into the gallery will go up.
    It will also help you eliminate galleries or outlets that wont market your stuff well or look after it.

If they like your goods & YOU feel comfortable with the person but a bit unsure with where to go with the
    next step then ask some more questions.
    e.g "These earrings would cost you £6 which with a 2.35 markup would be £14 sales cost. How would that fit with your prices?"
    They may then tell you what their normal mark up is, what they search for in a retail price band, a whole host of info...
    The key is to spend more time listening than talking.

e.g
    If they say they use 3x mark up but would be worried about having others undercut them
    you could offer to make them some exclusive designs.

Above all go easy on yourself and use each meeting as a learning opportunity.
    You didn't learn to make jewellery overnight so will probably not be an instant sales and marketing guru overnight either

Tabby - As long I'm happy with the price I'm getting they can sell it for whatever they like.
    I would however suggest a Recommended Retail Price
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Nic you are a gem, you should market yourself as a mentor for people starting out,

I have found this site about setting up a craft business which I shall work my way through over easter,
    How to Start Up and Run a Craft Business at Start A Craft Business (UK)

I'm planning ranges of jewellery and glass art, I may do a range of hand painted ceramics as well.

Nic you have reassured me and I feel happier about doing this now so a BIG thank you
    Jill

Excellent info there Nic. Your'e a sweetie.
    Jules

Hi Jill,

Another very useful resource is the Women in Rural Enterprises group. They have loads of interesting stuff on their website.

WiRE - Women in Rural Enterprise

Have a look, its not just for those people who might be living in rural areas, but anyone who is thinking of going into business etc

hope that helps.
    Jules

I'm just about to approach some local galleries too. I emailed to ask how to go about it and they said they never look at work when people just wander in and ask to show their products - it puts them on the spot and they get so much tat that they would then feel obliged to consider. They have asked for a cv and a small photo portfolio/cd with images, and an idea about prices.

That's on my to do list for this week!