Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I was burgled!

Default I was burgled!

I was burgled the other night, and the thief entered through a ground floor window, clambering over my work bench to get in. He'd broken a window, and made a right mess of all my tools/silver etc. I've spent this morning separating scrap silver from glass shards. It didn't help that the glass/silver mixture was all bound together by a mixture of spilt coffee and pickle. sigh...

On the plus side, he obviously hadn't noticed that my workbench contained a box of silver and gold supplies, a nearly finished silver bracelet, and my wedding and engagement rings.

So, I'm compiling my insurance claim, and trying to decide if I can claim for about 20 pickle covered dremel attachments, a pack or 2 of saw blades, 3 sheets of emery paper, and a new charcoal block. Is that too petty do you think?

I'm so sorry to hear that you were burgled and no i wouldn't say it's petty just bear in mind your premiums will go up once you claim so make sure it's worth it in the long run, did they take much else?? xx
    Bridget x x

Never be afraid to try something new,remember amateurs built the Ark,
    professionals built the Titanic!!!

http://www.rusticcharmjewellery.co.uk

Ah, it such a shame you were burgled. I hope you weren't too upset by it all. I'd work out the cost of the materials that have been ruined and see if its covered by the minimum amount you would have to pay. It might not be worth claiming in the long run.

Make sure you increase your security, just in case. Plus, I was always told that leaving a radio on when you go out is a really good deterrant - the sort of programme to play is one with voices, rather than just lots of music!

Hope that helps.
    Jules

Oh my goodness - so sorry to hear that your home was invaded.
    I was burgled twice as a student, they waited for us all to replace everything
    then burgled us again!!!
    So glad they didn't get your creations and wedding/engagement rings
    as Petal said keep a close eye over the next few months so you don't get re-targeted
    Nic xxx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

well, I'm already claiming for the broken window and my laptop, so an extra £20 of tools won't make much difference.

Yeah, the laptop was the only thing he took - I disturbed him mid theft (in classic middle of the night man with a hammer in the hall scenario) so he scarpered before he managed to get anything else. I miss my macbook though.. it was new and so very sleek. Hey ho.

so very sorry to hear this. Hope you don't feel to violated.

I didn't realise you were there when you were burgled - christ that must have been scary. Glad he scarpered!

I'd definitely get the police round to advise on extra security measures that you can take, now that you have been burgled.
    Jules

This happened to my stepson when he was at this girlfriend's shared house but he didn't see the thief, he just realised someone had been in whilst he was in the shower. Three laptops were taken. The police said that was all the thief would have been after.

P.S. (for everyone) Don't leave the box for any new laptop visible in your refuse/cardboard collection as an advertisement that you have one!!

I'm so sorry! It must have been really scary. I hope that the insurance company are quick.

That's good advice Nicci
    Jo
    Daisychain Jewellery - Handcrafted sterling silver jewellery and jewellery tuition
    www.daisychainjewellery.co.uk
    www.daisychaindesignsjewellery.blogspot.com

That is quite scarey to disturb an intruder. Hope it was a big hammer!!
    Jane,
    (although I quite like Sunny!)