Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first piece of jewellery.

Default My first piece of jewellery.

Well class went very well last night, our tutor, the lovely Stephanie had some silver to sell us and we were all keen to get to grips straight away so she suggested that make a plain band ring just so that we could get a feel for shaping and soldering.

I was more than apprehensive when it came to utilising the torches, they are rather intimidating but I was brave enough to carry on regardless. Anyway we all softened our silver with the torches then put the silver in the sink before popping into a pot of acid to remove the blackened burn marks which the flame had deposited on the metal. Once this process was finished we got to hammer the metal around a triblet which is used just to form the shape of the rings, then it was on to solder.

I am so pleased with my first piece of jewellery and even after one lesson I have already got the bug, mind you I tend to get the bug with everything I try my hand at to be honest. I am sorry I couldn't get on last night I was totally exhausted yet for some reason could barely sleep, I think it was from sheer excitement. Gerald was really impressed with my ring. All in all I don't think I could of picked a better course and the other students as well as the tutor are all absolutely lovely.

Glad you enjoyed it so much Celia
    You'll soon be bashing and melting away with the rest of us!

It was truly wonderful MissGeorge, I am becoming terribly forgetful though. I was meaning to post up a photograph of my ring bet forgot too, anyway here it is. I am really thrilled with what I have managed to achieve in one evening.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my first ring.jpg  

Great photo of the ring and really good shape you achieved too!
    If you get the ends of the wire closer (so they touch) you'll get an even stronger solder join which you wont be able to see
    Fantastic first piece you should be really pleased with yourself
    nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

crikey Celia! It's as rough as a badgers backside at the moment - it should clean up nice though - is that a bagette diamond in it as well? - good first attempt, keep it up! (you any good at soldering copper pipes for plumbing?)

Geti!
    Celia, I think you did really well for a first time - it can't have been easy forming a piece of wire as thick as that. Ask you tutor about some tricks to help you get the edges closer together. I use two pairs of parallel pliers, but others find it easier to use a triblet and hammer. It helps to saw through the join again before finally soldering together.

You might like to get some basic tools and some copper wire to practice with at home as well. Cookson's do a good student kit Tools Student Starter Kit - Cooksongold.com and also a basic soldering kit Starter Soldering Kit, Un 2837 - Cooksongold.com (though I think the torch is a bit weedy if I'm honest).

Geti, you cheeky b****r, you!
    It looks as if you've made a really good start Celia No doubt next week you'll be introduced to emery papers & the polisher and your ring will look even more impressive.
    J x

Celia, please don't be hurt by Geti; he's only having a laugh with you. He's so old that he's probably forgotten how sensitive we can feel when learning something new.

George's advice is good advice, in fact, George's advice is always good and you would do well to listen to her. I'm not sure where you live but you could do worse than have a lesson with her. That's how I started.
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    Celia, please don't be hurt by Geti; he's only having a laugh with you. He's so old that he's probably forgotten how sensitive we can feel when learning something new.

George's advice is good advice, in fact, George's advice is always good and you would do well to listen to her. I'm not sure where you live but you could do worse than have a lesson with her. That's how I started.
    Old? I could still chase you round a kitchen table - mind you I might trip over my Zimmer frame

Careful, Geti, I might not run
    Di x