Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My first piece of jewellery.

Well done Celia. We amateurs had better up our game or you'll be outstripping us all before we know it.

I doubt that, there are some very talented ladies on this board, I am only a beginner after all although I do have a little more faith when it comes to tinkering with PMC at the weekend as when I have been at Rita's I did notice that it seems so similar to sugar paste to work with and I shall arrive at her home complete with my old professional tools of the trade and try my utmost to recreate the art that I used to adore.

I think you may be surprised at how difficult it is to work PMC. Like you, I used sugar paste for many years and thought PMC would be a doddle. Not so. It handles very differently. Making complex things like our resident experts do takes years of experience.

Are there resident experts Carole, I have only seen one item of PMC jewellery that I would actually wear personally. I will be so disappointed if I cannot achieve the styles that I am imagining. Well, I suppose time will tell, the weekend is almost upon us as is.

There are a few. Taste is subjective, that doesn't reduce the skill needed. I can appreciate the work that goes into the items that members here show - but I'm unlikely to wear any of them (except for cufflinks).

Quote Originally Posted by CeliaDM View Post
    Are there resident experts Carole, I have only seen one item of PMC jewellery that I would actually wear personally. I will be so disappointed if I cannot achieve the styles that I am imagining. Well, I suppose time will tell, the weekend is almost upon us as is.
    Well I guess people like our Nic who wins major competitions for her work may be considered to be an expert Celia. If she's not an expert, then I don't know who is. Her work may not be to your taste, but you surely have to admire the skills used.

Looks a great first attempt Celia,

This isn't a criticism for you, but why did you teacher have you file points on the end? surely it would have worked so much better if she had shown you how to do a proper "but joint" by sawing through the seam to get a perfect join. Anyone else wondering this?