Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: which anvil and where to get for open bracelets

For simple bangles, all you need is a bangel mandrel, either round or oval. Steel is expensive, hardwood much cheaper. I got by for a very long time with an old table leg and a baseball bat.... You can work with round, D or rectangular wire, or with sheet.

If you want to create anticlastic shaping (where the outer curve is perpendicular to the main curve) you need a stake. You can either get a steel sinusoidal (very pricey if it's for occasional use) or a delrin one - such as Peter's. I'm delighted with my delrin one as it allows me to use a regular cross pein hammer, rather than having to source a nylon version from the US.

There was a nice tutorial in Art Jewelry Magazine a while ago - covering both reticulation and anticlastic raising - it might be worth getting a back issue for that - it's barely more than buying the pdf version.

Art Jewelry Magazine - Issues

Hello chocolateteapot, i'm new to working with silver as well, I have made a couple of bangles, open and soldered using a bangle mandrel

Nic I didn't have a clue what anticlastic, whatever, thingamajig is so I googled it and guess what this link to Peter came up.

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/cla...ic-stakes.html
    Still don't know what this is for tho.
    I love those bangles in your link, how do you get the curve on the metal before forming the bangle? i think this is what the thingamajig is for...right?
    jille

Thanks everyone..thanks for link Nic....they look lovely..just great....watch this space..or a space somewhere..in a few weeks...xxxxx

You form your main curve first - so bend the metal to a bracelet shape, then you work in the anticlastic curves on a suitable stake. As you do, the metal tries to straighten out, so you have to bend the main curve back in... Which flattens out some of the anticlastic raising. And so on, ad infinitum.

I like the use of reticulation on that bracelet - might have to have a go at that.

Thanks Peter for the explanation.
    I needed to actually see this done to get my head round the technique so i looked on youtube and found this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5_Je02rDAc

jille

OOh, those bangles are absolutely GORGEOUS. I especially like the texturing, but the shape looks so tactile. Thanks for posting the pics and links.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by jille View Post
    Thanks Peter for the explanation.
    Which is completely at odds with the method used in that video

Interesting, though - although it looks to me like her method results in more wrinkles that have to be worked out. I'll have to have a go at doing it that way round too.

Peter, could you be persuaded to post a tutorial with some pics. Pretty please
    Jane,
    (although I quite like Sunny!)

What sort of thing? A simple anticlastic cuff bracelet or something more involved?

(No, I am not doing one in mokume! )

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    What sort of thing? A simple anticlastic cuff bracelet or something more involved?

(No, I am not doing one in mokume! )
    Personally I would quite like a simple anticlastic cuff, so I can walk before I run.

(would look wonderful on mokume!!!)
    Jane,
    (although I quite like Sunny!)