Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Polishing a Resin Cast

Default Question about Polishing a Resin Cast

Hi All,

My question relates to polishing a resin cast.

I have been experimenting with clear resin casting and am getting the hang of resin/fixer proportions as well as techniques such as embedments.

Once the resin piece has been released from the mould I use wet and dry sandpaper to remove the rough edges as well as to smooth the top surface (which is slightly dappled as a result of the drying process).

Obviously once the sanding process has completed (I start with a rough grit and work up to an ultra fine 2500 paper) I am left with a piece that has a cloudy surface.

I want to return this to the crystal clear still evident in the sides and the bottom.

I have read a little about this and much of the recommendations revolve around using carnauba wax to return the surface to to it's former glory. This works up to a point but I have been unable to bring back the original clarity.

Has anyone any experience of this sort of thing and could you suggest any solutions?

Thanks

Descolada

Sorry I don't do a lot with resin - but there's a great vid I found on you tube
    YouTube - Sanding & Polishing Resin Jewelry
    She used the 4 sided nail boards
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

I was taught to polish with a mop and dialux polish. Brings it up to a fantastic shine.

Any particular colour of dialux Carole? Or just work through as though for metal?

Can't remember off hand George. Too lazy to go and look now. I'll try and remember to look tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by MuranoSilver View Post
    Sorry I don't do a lot with resin - but there's a great vid I found on you tube <link>

She used the 4 sided nail boards
    Nic x
    Hello MuranoSilver.

Yes, I have seen this vid. I am not sure where I would get such boards and wonder how this might help, I am pretty sure it won't be greater than the 2500 grip wet and dry I have been trying. I can't get much finer grit than this so am sure that the answer is in the polishing.

Thanks again for your answer.

descolada

Micromesh goes to 12000 - so really a lot finer. The only time I've done this (with cold resins mind you) I just used micromesh through to 12000 and then rouge. It came up really very shiny!

Default Polishig of Resin

Traditionally the final polish for resin is Vonax, p648 of the Cook Book. I note that it is spelled two ways on this page, and that a smaller bar is from Dialux, as mentioned by Carole, but I cannot be sure it is the same thing. It is applied with a cotton mop on the polishing lathe for a large piece and a cotton mop for pendant motor for a small piece, pages 650 and 643. You need to use a light touch and lots of movement to avoid over heating the resin.

For pre-polishing you can actually use Tripoly, on a calico wheel, it does not scratch like sand paper. The light touch and movement apply as resin becomes sticky if over- heated. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 14-03-2010 at 09:53 PM.

This is really useful information. Thank you very much to both Dennis and Mizgeorge. I will do some research into this stuff and see what happens.

Descolada

Default Amendment

I actually came back in a panic and amended my piece above as I cannot be certain of the Dialux. Perhaps Carole will find that in her notes. Dennis.