Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you do fingerprints?

Quote Originally Posted by HannahJewelleryDesigns View Post
    ok well, I had a go at the weekend and did two direct impression fingerprints. All went well with the carving, firing etc until I went to solder on a jump ring and the back of the print exploded! Is this normal??!?!?! The initial finring was fine- no problem at all. Should I not have pickled it afterwards? Did it soak some up maybe? Or do you think it was an air bubble that wasnt released until I heated the piece up to soldering temperature? I want to have another go but do NOT want to make the same mistake again- it really hurt!
    This is probably a really silly question - but did you pickle the metal clay piece before you tried to solder? You don't need to pickle metal clay as is doesn't get firescale (no copper in the mixture). You might have got some pickle trapped in the metal cos it is slightly porous as Nic said and then it expanded with the torch heat and boom! Try it without pickle.

That's fab Alan. Did you work from an inked print? The definition looks fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    That's fab Alan. Did you work from an inked print? The definition looks fantastic.
    Yes George, the print was taken using an 'Inkless Fingerprint' kit (a bit like the police use) and then scanned, cleaned up a bit in Corel and lasered on to the gold. I normally do them really dark, almost black with the laser but I made the mistake of asking the customer (after it was done) if they wanted it light or dark and they said "light please". Then I had to find a way to lighten the print. Safety pickle was nigh on useless, in the end I had it Cyanide 'bombed' which removed a small layer of metal down inside the print to make it a more natural colour.

Oh golly, how fabulous geti-titanium, the level of detail is wonderful and it looks so very shiny.

Alan that does look awesome- Im defo not putting my exploded PMC on here after that one!
    Nic and Elliboo- yep I pickled it after the first firing (scintering?) DOH! Everything gets chucked in the pickle! I guess it sucked some up. Oh well I wont make that mistake again!
    Thanks very much for the help, I will be having another go though- it hasnt put me off! (But I will wear a face shield next time I solder the stuff, just in case!)

Geti your piece is fab, love the detail, i will just have to keep telling myself I'm a beginner and you are a pro

Jille ~ Getis is a Laser engraved piece, fabulous bit of kit and not detracting in any way from his skill in using it
    but it's not the same as a silver clay print, which tends to have more of an indent (from the finger making the print)
    or a wax impression or any of the other many ways of getting prints onto silver.
    I used to offer impact printer prints (not as good as Getis laser) but found that mums liked the visible connection of seeing
    their children pushing fingers into the clay, it somehow made the finished silver pendant more special....
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

thanks for the info Nic, i love the way everyone shares different ideas here, it's good to know there is more than one way to do something
    thank you all

Thanks Nic and everybody so much useful advice on here. I can't wait to try it out myself. I'm on a fingerprint jewellery making course next Saturday, so will share if I learn anything new.
    Mia x

Hey, jumping on a bit late... two questions... 1. what type of lazer machine does Getis use? 2. The original question about getting a fingerprint from a polymer plate - how to keep the detail? I hate using the moulds....

Thanks!
    Aly